Statement of purpose for applying masters in WEB SCIENCE

giri7io 1 / 1  
"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm" - Abraham Lincoln.

This is my all-time favourite quote which inspired me and made me choose University of XXX for pursuing Masters. I am very much interested in Computer Science, particularly the web-science. Advances in Internet over the past few decades have brought revolution in science, medicine, education, business, entertainment and almost in every sector. I wish to be part of the future revolution and that is why I want to study web-science.

Right from the beginning, my academics are fairly well. My keen interest in learning made me to get admission into JNV (a system of alternate schools for gifted students in India) in 5th grade. I have shown interpersonal skills, participated in extracurricular activities and sports at school level. I must admit, spending time on computer was my all-time best hobby, which became my passion. This passion made me to choose Computer Science as elective in 12th grade. I had good grip in concepts of C++ programming, Databases, Ms-office and Boolean algebra, which I proved through my marks. By the time I finished higher schooling, I decided Computers is my future.

With same zeal, I chose Computer Science Engineering as my course in Bachelor's Degree, for that I had worked hard and cleared the graduation entrance test with good score. As a computer programmer with huge passion, I used to spend free time surfing internet, reading technical blogs and knowing more practical computer knowledge. One day I got my hands on Scratch (a project of MIT), in which we can create games by using a set of about 100 commands that can be visually stacked together. I enjoyed designing and programming games, which enhanced my creativity and programming skills. Later, I learnt programming languages as a part of my course, and acquired knowledge of basic concepts of programming like data structures, libraries and memory management.

I worked on three technical papers in total. But a paper titled "Semantic Web 3.0" brought a whole new appreciation. I detailed how a semantic web layer can be added to the current Web 2.0 by using Resource Description Framework (RDF), Micro-formats and Web Ontology Language (OWL), thus giving meaning to current data on web. "Host to Host Congestion Control for TCP/IP" and "Intrusion Detection in Homogeneous and Heterogeneous WSN" are the titles of other papers I worked on.

In final semester of graduation I got job in Applisoft Computer Technologies for the position of software developer. First two months was the training period, where I was trained in best practices of programming languages & design patterns, operating systems and databases by senior professionals. After training, I was assigned to a project for which we had to build administrative and financial databases.

Although I have been working in Applisoft, because of my passion in web designing, I along with my friend founded ColorLayers, a web designing company which provides all kinds of web services. Being CEO, I learned managing skills along with real time business knowledge and project management. We have successfully completed five projects under ColorLayers, and we are currently working on few more projects.

Ever since graduating from college, I have proved myself through my work history that I can balance full time workload and my professional development. My organization helped me develop both my business skills and technical knowledge. I picked up some important qualities like teamwork, realistic goal setting and time management during work. Now after gaining good professional experience, I believe it's time for me to use this knowledge and skill acquired to reach my goals.

My long term goal is to build a web application and release it to the Internet, that would use semantic web technology and capable of analysing all the data on the Web - the content, links, and transactions between people and computers. I'm sure, I need to learn multicast programming techniques and analyse advanced algorithms to reach my goal. I would like to reach my goals by pursuing Master's Degree to achieve greater levels of understanding in the field of web-science and to excel in this field.

I chose Germany for my higher education because, Germany provides high quality of education in a very diverse environment. And not only the education but also it builds the real time challenging potential for a student. After reading the course curriculum and the research works like "collaboration cloud" by Prof. Dr. Steffen Staab on semantic web, which attracted me most, I decided to pursue Masters in University of XXX in web-science.

The reason why I chose University of XXX is because the university has close contacts to leading companies, collaboration and project experiences. There is a choice of international exchange programs with academic partners all around the world. It is the first of its kind at a German university which puts a strong emphasis on computer science, but builds bridges especially to economics and the social sciences, and its numerous and most often international research projects, and the institute XYZ develops methods to build a sound foundation for web-science and for applications of Web technologies.

I want to learn closely with the most innovative research group with the promise of a ground-breaking research possibilities and exposure to internships, I am very much sure university of xxx will serve the purpose. Thank you for taking your time to consider my application and I am positively looking forward to the decision of the admissions committee.
OP giri7io 1 / 1  
I think, I have included all those topics in my SoP
pdcohen - / 7  
Girish,

You have a very impressive background! However, I assume that many of the details that you give in this statement of purpose will be apparent elsewhere in your application. The statement of purpose is the place in your application for you to convey the special and unique aspects of your background and character.

For example, you'd have a more compelling personal statement if you did the following:
-Explain why the quote at the beginning is your favorite and how it inspired you to apply to this University. (You never say.)
-Explain how your "spending time on the computer" became such a passion? It seems like you are a person with many interests, so there must be an interesting story here.

-Give more details about the decision to found your own Web company.
-Explain the technical details of your projects in simpler language and with fewer details. You don't know if the person reading your essay will be an expert in this field.

I'll be happy to provide more detailed suggestions on the next draft!

Cheers,

Phil

Home / Graduate / Statement of purpose for applying masters in WEB SCIENCE