Statement of Academic Objectives (graduate program in taxation)

dsen 1 / 1  
Hello,

I need your help with writing a Statement of Academic Objectives for a graduate program in taxation. Here is my first draft. I am an international student and any critics will help me improve my writing skills. Thank you very much for your help!!!

Two years ago I started an internship in the tax department of a large international firm. This experience played a key role in my decision to pursue a career in tax and to complete a graduate program in taxation.

As an intern, I completed various projects. These ranged from reconciling accounts to preparing federal and state tax returns. I became greatly appealed to tax preparation because it was very challenging and rewarding. Challenging, because it tested my ability to take well supported decisions. Rewarding, because the decisions I took quickly translated into financial consequences. I felt great fulfillment after completing each tax return. I had contributed to the overall tax function of the company and I had improved my skills and knowledge. I found very attractive that there are always things to learn in tax. New regulations are continuously being enforced. This requires practitioners to operate in an always changing environment. A career with open prospects would give me a constant incentive to improve myself and gain new knowledge. This is one of the main reasons why I chose to become a tax professional. My interest was further reinforced as I realized that there is a tax implication for almost every transaction a business undertakes from trading, to acquisition, to offshoring. Companies will always need the help of professionals to align their business objectives with tax regulations. Given the current economic crisis, it is important to consider job security when making a career choice.

I interned at a corporation which has presence in over 190 regions. Many mergers and acquisitions took place within its structure while I was an intern. The number of its subsidiaries decreased from over 200 to less than 100. What was the tax implication of these mergers? How did they affect the tax rate of the company as a group? What tax factors were taken into consideration in these transactions? I find international tax planning very intriguing. This is the field I plan to focus on in my career.

My goal is to obtain a masters degree in taxation and then to work as a tax consultant in one of the Big Four accounting firms. As I advance in my career, I would like to focus in international tax planning for corporations.

Attending a graduate program in taxation will smoothen the the path towards these goals. I have set several academic objectives to guide me in this endeavor. First, I am going to deepen my understanding of basic tax principles and learn how to apply them. Second, I am going to improve my ability to identify issues in all areas of tax, including individual, corporate, partnerships, estate, and international. Third, I am going to learn how to interpret new tax developments. Fourth, I am going to improve my research and analytical skills. Upon achieving these objectives, I will have built the foundation to focus on international taxation. I will take several courses in this field. My goal is to learn basic techniques, structures and approaches in international tax planning. I hope to complete various case studies on the subject. These will improve my ability to effectively apply what I have learned to real situations.

Learning tax, and specifically international tax planning, is a process with destination and no end. A successful career in the field requires a constant attempt to improve one's knowledge. This is best done through networking with other professionals. Building an effective network is another objective in my graduate studies. To achieve it, I need to carefully choose the school I am going to attend.

The Masters in Taxation at ABC is ideal for completing my academic objectives. Being one of the oldest and most prestigious programs in the region, it brings together some of the brightest professionals in the area. Enrolling in the program will be the first step in building my professional network. Another reason I am eager to join the program is the opportunity to obtain an International Tax Certificate. This ensures that I will accomplish my academic goals related to international tax planning. The certificate will also add to my credentials and make me a competitive candidate in the job market. I would like to join ABC also for the small size of the classes, which guarantees a high quality education. It would be an honor to interact with faculty representing some of the most talented professionals in the area.

I am very excited at the opportunity to attend the business school at ABC University. It is my strong belief that completing the master program in taxation will provide me with the knowledge and skills necessary to build a progressive career in tax.
mikethebunny - / 9  
try to focus on one event that influenced you to join taxation..
As an intern, I completed various projects, ranging from reconciling accounts to preparing federal and state tax returns.I made the first two sentences into one stronger sentence, also it seems to flow better.

This experience played a key role in my decision to pursue a career in taxes and to complete a graduate program in taxation.

Tax preparation was appealing to me because it was very challenging and rewarding.

Challenging, because it tested my ability to make well supported decisions.

Rewarding, because the decisions I made quickly translated into financial consequences.
I found very rewarding , that there were always things to learn in taxes .

This is one of the main reasons why I chose to become a tax professional.

My interest was further [. . .] job security when making a career choice.
This is great![/b]

Attending a graduate program in taxation will smoothen ...[b]I'm not sure if this is a word
.

Aside from these few minor changes, you are a great writer!
OP dsen 1 / 1  
Thank you very much for your help! Your review notes will help me improve my writing. Do you think the essay is heavy to read and boring?
Well, the first sentence is good and interesting. The essay CAN be boring to a reader uninterested in the subject... but the reader will be someone at the school, so it is fine. You can make it more interesting by using some conclusion sentences (at the end of paragraphs or at the end of the essay) that reflect on more general, philosophical truths about the meaningfulness of this route you are taking.

The essay is sure to be interesting if you can write it in a way that makes the rest or us interested in taxation :)
The essay definitely isn't boring or heavy to read -- you seem genuinely excited by issue of taxation, which is difficult to do, so congratulations. Kevin made most of the minor fixes I would have suggested already, but here is one additional piece of advice -- try to avoid clumsy passive structures in your writing. So,

"Building an effective network is another objective in my graduate studies."

could easily be rewritten in a more active way

"I also hope my graduate studies will allow me to build an effective network."

This sounds more natural, and flows more smoothly with the rest of your writing.

Home / Graduate / Statement of Academic Objectives (graduate program in taxation)