SOP for PhD in Economics with bachelor and master's degree in accounting

janjanireza 1 / 2  
Hi, Plese help me about its grammar and structur. Also, send your comments about its content

Because of my inherent capability to solve mathematics problems, I could pass all the mathematics-related courses including Calculus I and II, Linear Algebra, Statistics and Probability, Geometry I and II and Discrete Mathematics in high school with the best scores. Because of my strong math background, I could rank among 1% of admitted individuals in Konkur (University Entrance Examination) consequently accepting in mathematics field of Sharif University as the best university of Iran.

[...]
Jan jan, your SOP is too well detailed but does not really provide the necessary information that is expected in a standard statement of purpose. There are actually only 4 questions that you have to answer in order to write an effective SOP. Kindly revise the content of your SOP based upon these 4 rudimentary questions:

1. What is your current profession and how does your desired masters degree relate to it?
2. What are your career goals and ambitions that will be supplemented by this advanced training?
3. Summarize your college background and then deeply discuss your current work related training, seminars attended, and internships the admissions officer should take note of in relation to your desire for higher studies. How are these experiences relevant to the masters course you wish to pursue?

4. What are your long and short term career goals and how will completing these masters studies help you achieve the purposes you outlined?

You may mention a few mentors at the university you are applying to and how you hope to work with them and any possible notable projects you have planned to complete using the facilities of the university. Don't make it too long though. It should only be a summarized mention in order to not detract from the 4 important questions that must be represented in your statement.
OP janjanireza 1 / 2  
Thanks a lot. But I have a master's degree in accounting and I want to apply for PhD in Economics. So, should I revise my SOP based on your comments, now? I should write my SOP based one your 4 questions orderly, or at first write about my background, then about my reasons for changing my major, after that my research interests and finally my goal and carear and features of an Universitiy whcih help me to achieve my goals?
H Janjan, I am really glad to see that you understand the reasons behind the need to revise your essay. In answer to your question, yes, you should revise your essay based upon the 4 basic guide questions that I provided in my previous response. As of now, I do not want you to worry about the word count or the chronological order of the content. Just give your answers to the questions in your most honest way and then post the essay here. At that point, we will be able to review it better for content and then determine the best possible chronological order for the paper, barring any more content changes or edits :-)
OP janjanireza 1 / 2  
I send it can you look at it and send your idea about the content of my SOP and can you editi it?

Being an instructor at various Accounting and Economic departments and interested to Economist debates in analyzing the Economic problems of my country gave me a chance to attend many seminars at Universities about the Economy of Iran which led to learn Schools of Economics and then write and publish one paper namely, criticizing positive accounting. I was captivated by unique and effective role of Keynes during Great Depression, critical thinking of Friedman and profound and comprehensive knowledge of Samuelson and wished that one day I could become one of them. I found three reasons for pursuing Economics as my major to be an academic Economist as my goal. Economics has the more extensive areas for researching than accounting and conducting the researches in Economic areas will make me able to better appease my thirstiness for conducting broader researches, which have been my perennial concerns. Also, the highly application of mathematics in Economic theories and models caught my attention. My enthusiasm and eagerness to study in Economics reached to its apex when I found that economics in vein of Leontief (1954) that Mathematics in some cases which is applied for solving the Economic problem can expands the rules of itself. So, I found that pursuing my education in Economics can better quell my thirst to Mathematics. Moreover, the events and the state of the economy affect all members of society so, studying in this field will make me become a more useful person in society and finally will contribute to the cause of making the world a better place to live.

I am well prepared on how to become a qualified and excellent candidate to attain a PhD. Mathematics has always been my favorite subject, so I selected the mathematics and physics as my major in high school. I could pass all the mathematics and Statistics course during high school and bachelor with the best scores. I studied the Linear Algebra (Cherney et. al), Calculus and Multivariate Calculus (Apostol; Thomas) and took some Statistics and Operation Research during undergraduate. Courses. During my master's period and after graduation, I obtained rigorous training in Econometrics and Statistics equipped myself with various tools used in economic analysis, such as SPSS, Eviews, Stata and Matlab, and learned how to apply cross-sectional and panel data methods. When I became familiar, I expanded my knowledge of Mathematics through studying Real Analysis, Topology, differential equations, the Mathematical Economics, and Optimization Theory. My talent in Mathematics gives me an absolute advantage in studying and doing research in economics. I am confident this will help me do very well in pursuing an Economics PhD at ***.

Doing many serious researches and publishing many excellent papers in accounting made me skillfulness in Econometrics which gave me some opportunities to cooperate with professors of Economics on their research projects. I contributed to a project coordinated by Professor Piri namely comparative advantage of some special agricultural product in Iran's. Moreover I assisted Professor Ghobadi on a research project investigating the relationship between earnings with Stock Returns via analyzing the data with Eviews. I attended to one seminar about the role of Stock Market in the Economic of Iran which led to conduct a research about the effects of Macroeconomic Variables on Stock Price Index, study Macroeconomics (Mankiw) under supervision of economists and learn and apply the Vector auto-regression (VAR). Being curious about the reasons which led to the economic Growth of Iran turned negative in 2012 and 2013, for the first time in two decades, was my incentive to attain to a seminar about the trend of Economics Growth in Iran and its reasons. This attending got me familiar with the role of economic policies and institutions on Economics Growth, led to read the books and papers of Acemoglu, Barro and Sala-I-Martin and study papers of North. Discovering the importance of Economic growth and Stock Exchange, I investigated the role of financial market on economic Growth which finally led to learn GMM system estimator. Currently, I am research assistant of one research project namely, evaluating the Neoclassic Growth Model in Measuring Business Cycles in Iran.

Beside my research experiences, because of my enthusiasm for teaching, I have been working as lecture of accounting at various universities from 2009 until now. Also, I was a teacher of Mathematics, Statistics and Econometrics at private institutions from 2010 until now and helped more than 100 Economic or Accounting students for their master's theses for selecting best methods to estimate the models and analyzing the data. I enjoyed the process of communicating with the students, and all of these experiences boosted my confidence to be a professor at university some day.

During my graduation I want to equip myself with Macroeconomics Theories to find a persuasive response to discrepancy economic problems like, high rate of unemployment, inflation, poverty and other challenges which my country is facing with. Also, I think understanding how the whole economy functions by manipulating complex mathematic models to generate the simple and straightforward result is the greatest attraction of Macroeconomics. Moreover, I aim to be an expert in Economics Growth because I believe in the vein of Acemoglu that doing research in Economics Growth area not only is important for Growth theory, but also is essential for modern macroeconomic analysis and social sciences. For example the Ramsey and Overlapping Generations models are two most used setups in Economics. Also, I believe that understanding the economic Growth helps to comprehend other field of Economics like Real Business Cycle Models.

During the course of this program, I aim to be an expert in Mathematical Economics and Econometrics. I was impressed by the extent of application of Mathematics in Economics, especially dynamic analysis such as non-linear models. Also, I was captive by the extensiveness of application of the optimization theory in Economics especially dynamic optimization consisting of two very strong and attractive theories i.e. vibrational calculus and optimal control theory which I supposed as startling mathematical instruments. I not only intend to extend the present methods but also I desire to discover some new theorems or mathematical methods to be able to confront economic problems. Also, Econometrics interests me as a subject of economics and I might like to research in econometric methodology. I was interested in Econometrics first when I applied cross-sectional and panel data methods in my papers. My passion enhanced by studying stochastic Growth model under probability theory. I believe that mathematical Economics and Econometrics are mutually reinforcing, rather than completely alternative, tools of Economics analysis because on the one hand, Econometrics borrows simplified models from mathematical Economics and on the other hand, the results of econometric investigation influence research in mathematical Economics.

. My goal is to be a professor of economics at a leading research university. At present, the link between academia and policy-making is weak in our country, so I am to become an economists can help policymakers do a better job and avoid serious mistakes. Although my GPA for bachelor's degree is low (because of cancer of my father I had to simultaneously study at university and work to support my family), I could verify my capabilities by ranking among 1% of admitted individuals nationwide university entrance exam of Iran (the Concours), and ranking 124 out of 24000 individuals participated in M.A. test in accounting discipline and taking 165 out of 170 from quantitative section of GRE Test.

I believe that my education suits economy very good, I have Master of accounting with strong background of applied mathematics and rigorous training in Econometrics and Statistics. I already have extensive research experience in Accounting and Economics independently. All this maybe makes me an academic economist, but my aim is to become a high-quality one. *** is the most suitable choice for me to get PhD training because of its rigorous coursework, global reputation, and prominent professors, many of whom are experts in my favorite fields of interest. I hope that I would able to my knowledge about Mathematical Economics about optimal control via working with Professor... and enhancing my ability in applying Econometrics method and boosting or even creating new method for empirical researches. Also, I have many inclination to advance my knowledge about Macroeconomics theories continue my researches in these areas with working with professors x x x. Accordingly, this University is the best place to pursue the academic goals as well as doing research on my favorite subjects and where I can develop and apply my potential talents. I am confident that my knowledge of Mathematics and Economics will succeed me at the PhD level in my favorite fields of interest.

Home / Graduate / SOP for PhD in Economics with bachelor and master's degree in accounting