SOP for masters in Automobile Engineering; research-oriented faculty

vijaykanth 1 / -  
I always believed that curiosity has been the cornerstone of man's evolution. I had this curiosity and thirst for knowledge in me. Right from my childhood, I was interested in Automobiles. I liked tinkering with objects. I always enjoyed analyzing and understanding the working of Automobiles, starting from experimenting on my toys to fixing my bike. I found 'Mechanical Engineering', the only way I can satisfy my quest for knowledge and contribute.

Admission to Undergraduate courses in Engineering is through a screening test taken by more than 100,000 students. This test requires a strong academic background at pre-university level, with good analytical and quantitative skills. My performance in this screening test provided me with the privilege of choice and I chose Mechanical Engineering as my undergraduate major at ******* University, affiliated to AICTE. Four years of Undergraduate studies in Mechanical Engineering introduced me to a multitude of topics ranging from the very basics of Electrical machines, Basic electronics, Basic thermodynamics and Kinematics to more advanced courses such as Applied thermodynamics, Dynamics of machinery, Mechatronics, CNC machines, Manufacturing Process, Automotive Engineering etc. These subjects have enriched my knowledge to an extent that I feel eager to explore them further. Among which, Automotive engineering was the subject which completely captivated my interest. The pleasure of learning was augmented by the fact that I received continuous support and special encouragement from my professors for my interest in learning. I also presented a technical paper on "Scuderi Split cycle Engine" which was well appreciated by one and all and opened wider horizons for me.

In the final semester I undertook a project, Standardization of Hydraulic Operators for Different Sizes of Butterfly Valves in a Leading valve manufacturing company '*******Limited', ******, India. Our objective was to have a standardized design of hydraulic operator of different sizes of Butterfly valves. Previously, the designing of hydraulic operator, mounting bracket and levers were done on case-to-case basis which was laborious and time consuming. It was our intention that after our project is over, all the hydraulic operators, mounting brackets and levers can be selected from a standardized table which we succeeded eventually. The project mainly consisted of measuring and calculating the various parameters of the components of the butterfly valves through reverse engineering, interpreting these results into drawings and models through AutoCAD and Pro-E for each component ranging over 25 different sizes of Butterfly valves. This project has given me a great exposure in the field of design and most importantly the method of interpreting the results in to drawings of the parts of the hydraulic operators, mounting brackets and levers.

I took my Mechanical Engineering career to the next level as I worked as a Design Engineer for a young but a promising Gearbox manufacturing company, *********. I have handled projects on Gearbox designs for Steel plants, Defense purposes, Windmills and Automobiles. The most challenging task was the Reverse Engineering of Gearboxes, Practically measuring the critical dimensions, converting the hand sketches to 3D drawings and incorporating the necessary modifications to the design to make sure they adhere to the customers' requirement. I have attended Seminars on Pro-Engineer organized by PTC and AUTOCAD 2011 organized by Autodesk, on behalf of the company. These experiences honed and enhanced my skills in these softwares.

My intentions and ideas keep evolving every day and right now I stand at dreaming ten years beyond, where I see myself working on my own innovative project. I would want to start the realization of this dream by gaining deeper knowledge into my field of interest: 'Automotive Engineering'. A Masters in this field, followed by a doctorial would be my first steps.

I strongly believe in constantly evolving nature of technology and would like to be a part of the evolution. I think research is one best way we can constantly better our lives. After learning about the research at your University, I am even more eager to join your pioneering team and consider myself a suitable applicant for such research, given my analytical background, ardent interest in the subject and brimming motivation. I have realized that the existing graduate program perfectly suits my requirements and the ongoing research program is in perfect accordance with my needs.

I strongly feel that the guidance of the capable, research-oriented faculty of your department will make my graduate study at your university a fruitful endeavor. The fact that University of ****** stands unique with its infrastructure, faculty and resources, motivates me to be a part of it and I believe that the above qualifications make me an excellent prospect for graduate study. I sincerely hope that you would share my confidence by accepting me into your esteemed institution.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to express myself.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
I welcome any changes, thanks in advance!
I like that first sentence!
I want to suggest cutting some unnecessary sentences, though:
I always believed that curiosity has been the cornerstone of man's evolution. I had this curiosity and thirst for knowledge in me. Right from my childhood, I was interested in Automobiles. I liked tinkering with objects. I always enjoyed analyzing and understanding the working of Automobiles automobiles, and this began when I was experimenting on my toys or fixin g my bike.

I found 'Mechanical Engineering', the only way I can could satisfy my ...

It was our intention that after our project is was over, all the hydraulic operators, mounting brackets, and levers could be selected from a standardized table. We succeeded eventually. The project mainly consisted ...

A masters degree in this field, followed by a doctoral degree, would be my first steps.
I strongly believe in constantly developing evolving nature of technology and would like to be a part of the its evolution.----Nice!! I like your writing style...

I think research is one best way we can constantly...------This is another VERY good sentence.

:-)

Home / Graduate / SOP for masters in Automobile Engineering; research-oriented faculty