SOP for MS in Computer Science - family of computer and software experts.

meetleo86 1 / 3  
Hey All I am writing this SOP for MS in CS ...kindly give reviews

Coming from an educated family background with my father being a PHD and my elder sisters being software engineers I was always inclined towards having a strong academic background. This inclination when combined with my interest in Computer Science stream got transformed into a desire to pursue a master's degree in Computer science from your reputed University, which grew stronger, once I started working after my graduation only to realize that there is still so much to learn and acquire. It is this long cherished desire and my penchant towards the field that brings me back to studies.

During my bachelors although I took courses on Software Engineering, Computer Networks, Data Structures, Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, Computer Graphics, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Language Processors, Microprocessors, Artificial Intelligence, Fundamentals of Computer Science etc. but the courses that held my interest the most were Database Management Systems, Network Security and Operating Systems. My undergraduate studies have not only helped me strengthen my basics, but also have converted my initial zeal into deep fascination for the subject.

After completing my bachelors from Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology (GGSIPU) I have spent more than a year in different roles in IT companies. Although I liked my first job as Database Officer but the work was mainly related to fenestration industry more into database designing and the software development was a support function. I therefore switched to National Informatics Centre (NIC), part of Department of IT and communications providing e-governance support to Indian government. At NIC, my work involved developing software using Oracle IDS. As I started working I was completely awestruck by Oracle Developer Suite's integrated development potential, combining the power of application development and business intelligence tools in a single suite that is based on the latest industry standards. It was during this period that I got interested in exploring databases further to gain much better understanding of the subject. Moreover I also have a strong inclination towards studying the use of data mining and other related disciplines like statistics, algorithms and pattern recognition in IT field for market and corporate analysis.

I wish to earn an MS degree in Computer Science, as it would provide an opportunity to extend my interest and knowledge in databases and data mining to new heights. I intend to follow this up with a PhD and later, a career in research and teaching. During short listing universities for MS in CS I found that your institute suits my fields of interests and is also considered as one of the best for databases studies and research. As I was surfing through the university website I found a variety of courses in data mining, bioinformatics and approximate processing being provided by quite reputed faculty. I am really looking forward to study under and to work as well with Professor ....on his research work in the area of data mining. I have also seen Professor ...publications and would like to gain some more insight in the area of mining of biological databases by working under his guidance. From the various projects going on in the Database Research Lab, the Morpheus Data Transformation and the New Technologies for Online Aggregation Projects held my interest the most and I would consider myself fortunate if could get an oppotunity to work under such prestigious projects and faculty.

I am a firm believer in myself, sincere, daring and a fun-loving person. I am always at ease with people and share a close rapport with all my acquaintances. . I believe my background has not only qualified me technically, but also given me the right mind-set for going further with my studies. In my opinion I have a focused outlook, strong grasp of the field, aptitude of research and most importantly an interest in the field of Computer Science which would make me a good prospective candidate for your university. I am aware of the kind of dedication, perseverance and resolve I need to have for undertaking my graduate studies. I am sure that you will find in me a deserving and creditable student for your renowned University.
vrajveer89 8 / 21  
During my bachelors although I took courses on Software Engineering, Computer Networks, Data Structures, Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, Computer Graphics, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Language Processors, Microprocessors, Artificial Intelligence, Fundamentals of Computer Science etc. but the courses that held my interest

Computer Science etc., but the courses that held my interest

Although I liked my first job as Database Officer but the work was mainly

Don't use 'but' with 'although' in the same sentence.

I wish to earn an MS degree in Computer Science...

In this paragraph, you talk about your ambitions in the beginning, but later switch to the university specifics. Try to keep this in different paragraphs. Hold on to a single aspect if possible in a paragraph.

In my opinion I have a focused outlook, strong grasp of the field, aptitude of research

aptitude for research

Overall, a very nicely written SOP. Will definitely help me write one!

Cheers
OP meetleo86 1 / 3  
thanks rajveer for the suggestions
In the first para, you talk about others in your family. In the second para, you are talking about courses you took. It is not until paragraph 3 that we start getting to know you. I would like you to BRIEFLY mention the careers of your relatives in a paragraph that tells the reader about YOUR UNIQUE WORLDVIEW. I want the reader to share in the perspective tht makes you want to excel in this field, work meaningfully, and find personal satisfaction.

At the end of the first paragraph, you should mention a specific plan for the future... a specific goal. It is going to show the reader that your process is one that will change the world for the better.

:-)
OP meetleo86 1 / 3  
Hey Kevin
I am sorry, but I am not very clear on what you have suggested.

"In the first para, you talk about others in your family. In the second para, you are talking about courses you took. It is not until paragraph 3 that we start getting to know you."

---->do you mean I should talk about myself first, then about my family and courses etc.

"I would like you to BRIEFLY mention the careers of your relatives in a paragraph that tells the reader about YOUR UNIQUE WORLDVIEW. I want the reader to share in the perspective that makes you want to excel in this field, work meaningfully, and find personal satisfaction. "

----> Talking about my relatives careers in my SOP wouldn't sound very unrelated?
---->do you mean it is not sounding convincing enough
"with my father being a PHD and my elder sisters being software engineers I was always
inclined towards having a strong academic background. "
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
This is what I felt:

You say that you want to pursue a master's degree in the first paragraph. But you don't give the actual reasons until the third paragraph. In other words, your second paragraph seems to be wrongly positioned.

Your essay should follow a logical sequence. If I may suggest, you could use the following structure.

- want to take up higher studies
- why?
- your background, to prove you are competent enough
- interests in the selected field and how they relate to the chosen university
- how the university will help to realize your goals (be specific)
- Why should the university select you? (some personal attributes highlighted by extra-curricular activities but, relevant to the essay)

Then again, it is your essay and you can follow any sequence you like. So, take these as suggestions rather than corrections.
OP meetleo86 1 / 3  
thanks Ershad....for the suggestions
do you mean I should talk about myself first, then about my family and courses etc.

Yes, this is where to hit them. And you should hit them with an idea. You are already doing it, unfolding your process of life. You need to show them what your work will be like. Be inspired. Predict the future.

Home / Graduate / SOP for MS in Computer Science - family of computer and software experts.