Physician practice and diagnose diseases; Medical College App

kntran1010 2 / 3 2  
Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe your involvement in the project. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of the journal. If not, please describe an instance where you solved a problem you had never faced before.

How do you envision incorporating research into your ideal career?

During 2011-2013, I had two different chances to improve my experience in research. One of them is my own personal investigative research, and the other one being from my volunteer experience with a clinical research lab. The first investigative research I did was part of my senior project as a biochemistry student at Queens University of Charlotte. I conducted an experiment to investigate the interaction between a protein and a ligand using the NMR we have at Queens. The main purpose why I chose this particular topic is due to the fact that at Queens, we have a much weaker NMR compared to other facilities. Using this model to study, I can determine whether or not it is possible to conduct familiar studies using the NMR we have. Besides, the interaction between protein and ligand are really crucial to find new way or open new methods in battling diseases that seem to be at dead end in treatment.

I chose to study the interaction between NAD+ as the ligand and Yeast Alcohol Dehydrogenase as the protein. The interaction was able to be studied using the special technique in NMR. This technique makes use of a special effect called the Nuclear Overhauser Effect, which come from the molecules during the binding interaction. The effect will produce different intensities between a free ligand and a bound ligand. The intensities are picked up by the NMR and yield a 2-D spectrum. Theoretically, the data from the spectrum can determine whether or not the interaction occurred. Most of the time, I conducted the experiment on my own including trouble shooting when complication arose under minimal supervision from my professor and academic advisor - Dr. Andrew Tucker. Thanks to the guidance of Dr. Tucker, the experiment went relatively well although the result is quite disappointed. Using our current NMR at the time, it's very hard to determine if interaction can occur with such bad resolution. This experience taught me to think like a scientist and to be patient. More importantly, it reminded me of the importance of the ability to work independently.

Starting from September 2012 until March of 2013, I was lucky enough to be a student volunteer in General Surgery Research of the Canon Research lab that is part of the Carolinas Healthcare System. During this time, I have an opportunity to understand and be familiar with the procedure done to study Hemorrhagic Shock and the Septic Shock Syndrome. At the beginning of the experience, the majority of my work is to learn and get used to the laboratory environment and techniques. During this time, besides doing maintenance lab work such as cleaning, autoclave, prepare cell cultures, etc., I usually conducted my own small personal projects working with an immortal cell line of mice hepatocytes - the HepG2. Later on in the experience, I was able to be involved more in the investigative research done by my supervisor Dr. Powell. Her work was to investigate the effect of Resveratrol and Mitochondria Vitamin E in the treatment against cells that went through Hypoxic Environment. In the beginning, we mainly worked with different immortal hepatocytes. Later on, the experiment was conducted on animal model through cardiac puncture and cells collection. Although, I was not allowed to be involved in critical steps in the procedure, I was still able to perform and observe certain techniques and procedures that would be very useful in the future. This was an amazing experiment from which I was able to learn about the different techniques, skills, assays, critical thinking; how to develop an experiment/hypothesis, the ability to question yourselves, work under pressure. I also developed my own understanding and knowledge on the subject through various amount of literature documents, articles, etc. Most importantly, this volunteer experience has taught me the difference between a classroom environment and real life lab situation.

The impact of research in clinical community is tremendous. It's almost impossible to separate research and medicine from one another. We are battling new diseases every day and if physician failed to update new treatment techniques or skills, we'll lose this battle. Becoming a good physician, I might be able to save thousands of people but if I can figure out a more effective way in dealing with a certain diseases, the number of people I can save would increase greatly. Being a physician and a research also create amazing effect as one role can greatly compliment the other. A physician will make you understand the need for a different cure; the patient interaction will show the empathy that'll give you encouragement. Research enables physician not only in term of how the results can help provide better direction for treatment but also prepare and help a physician in reasoning critically and take in every possibilities that is involved in a procedure or analyze. Therefore, it can help improve the way a physician practice and diagnose diseases. Either way, both require a great level of commitment and dedication in order to succeed.

Thank you so much. This is one of the essays I need to turn in for an application. Grammar is my biggest concern, so tear it up.
One of them is my own personal investigative research, and the other one being from my volunteering experience with a clinical research lab

Grammar is my biggest concern, so tear it up.

... Well... I think it's pretty much in order :D
I have just one concern... You have talked in length about your past research experience. It is only the last para that directly answers the prompt (in my view) .... just give some thought for this

Anyways... it's well written. Good Luck!

Home / Graduate / Physician practice and diagnose diseases; Medical College App