PhD Food Science SOP- My ultimate career goal

karthik896 1 / -  
Hello,
This is a draft version of my PhD SOP for US universities. Please suggest ant corrections necessary. Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE PhD FOOD SCIENCE

The progression of technology and the effects it had on civilization has always fascinated me and generated profound interest in me.

My decision to choose Food Science is not an impetuous decision, rather it was developed over a time. Since I was a kid I seen my parents and grandparents using different cooking methods from time to time. My interest in finding the scientific reason behind their cooking practices grew strong as I grew older. Usage of different types of herbs and spices with various traditional tastes made me food lover and strengthened my interest towards food and science behind it. I started my journey with bachelors in Industrial Biotechnology and recently passing a great mile stone called masters, which I graduated with Merit in Food Biotechnology from University of Leeds. In my bachelor's degree in Industrial Biotechnology, I was taught fundamental techniques and concepts which motivated me to know more interesting facts from laboratory to industrial level. I went to different levels of industrial trainings and projects that served to compliment my course work and gave me some insight as to how the work is carried out in industrial level. I had been a part of research paper presentations and seminars, where I improved my communication and presentation skills.

My Undergraduation helped me in realizing my skills and increased my interest immensely towards Bioprocessing. With this enthusiasm towards subject and encouragement from few of my lecturers I was trained in HPLC in CFTRI (Central Food Technological Research Center), which is a nation's best research center on food. When taking my training I found industrial level operations in food industry more fascinating, where I completely decided myself to pursue my career and further research on food. My journey in Undergraduation of exploring the realm of knowledge and probing into the unknown is infinite and strenuous. However, to me, these efforts made me ambitious and confident person to overcome the hardships prevailing my way. To develop my research skills, I undertook master's program in Food Biotechnology, in University of Leeds, known for its best Food Science and Nutrition School and research activities. Food Processing and Food chemistry are two subjects which captured my interest after I moved to Leeds, where I broadened my notion on food research activities. Due to my keen focus on industrial level applications of what I gained all through my program, I did my dissertation on "Trials on reducing Sodium Chloride and Modified starch in commercial pie gravy mixes" under the support of my supervisor Dr.xxx. Designing and execution of this project equipped me with all the virtues of a true researcher, the systematic approach, the research framework, the technical know-how and most importantly, patience and ability to deal with failures. All through my academic experiences did not just teach me what science is, but also carved me to a successful and confident person with manners and great value for life.

These experiences molded me to take up the challenge of starting a career in food industry which I am always excited about. I worked as a xxx, which is a fresh produce industry. Working on quality issues of fruits and vegetables, accurate and concise decision making and compilation of accurate quality reports enhanced my management and work skills. While working I realized in order to stand out in technology field, scientific skills must be horned from discovering problems all the way to solving problems.

I considered my keen interests in processing and fresh produce industries would be my best choice to research to accomplish my long term goal in mind. From my research I found xxx research work on Fruits and Vegetables drew my attention. Her publications on xxx amazed and encouraged me further more to choose the program at your prestigious institution catering dearly to my needs. In this whole journey in the field of my interests and research I realized that to satiate my desire to dwell in the unsolved and to disinter the secrets of the living world, a doctorate, the highest embodiment of academia, was necessary.

It is my sincere belief that my strong sense of purpose with practical and professional background in food science makes me a competitive candidate to PhD program in xxx.
Thors Hammer 5 / 60  
one more thing, its honed, not horned!

Home / Graduate / PhD Food Science SOP- My ultimate career goal