My patience, enthusiasm and flexibility ; SOP Speech Pathology

knsimmons13 1 / 3  
SOP for Speech Pathology Graduate Program. It can only be 500 words and there was not a direct prompt. It's a little over 500 words. Please let me know what you think, if there are errors or if you think I should change anything about to improve it. All comments and advice is appreciated! Thank you so much! I just really want feed back and grammar review!

I cringed as he threw himself to the floor in an uncontrollable tantrum for the third time in the past hour. Aiden was constantly having difficulty interacting with the other children at preschool; he demanded personal space, exhibited difficulties with sensory integration and struggled with effective communication. While I saw a sweet and intelligent, yet overstimulated four year old boy attempting to navigate the world-others did not. Despite my efforts to incorporate educational exercises and play activities to facilitate language and communication, Aiden continued to struggle and isolate himself. As his preschool teacher with a bachelor's in psychology, all I was able to offer Aiden was emotional support and to me that just was not enough. I wanted to make a concrete difference and equip him with the language skills he needed to connect with his peers and the rest of the world.

My experience with Aiden sparked my interest in speech language pathology. After extensive research and interviews, I knew that I found my calling. I have always known that my dream career would be helping others and working with Aiden not only reinforced this belief but showed me exactly what I want to help others with: communication. I applied to COLLEGE NAME and enrolled in post baccalaureate courses to complete the equivalent of a B.S. in Speech Language Pathology to expand my knowledge and prepare for graduate school. Every class, conference and observation I have attended solidifies my passion for the field as I look forward to a rewarding yet challenging career as an SLP.

I am confident in my ability to excel as a graduate student and become a successful SLP. Communication has not only been a consistent area of interest of mine throughout my academic career, but also an aspect of life I am confident in. My current and past positions have heavily relied on my ability to communicate. I truly understand the significance of communication and it drives my desire to help others achieve confidence in their abilities. My bachelor's in psychology has provided me with a heightened insight into the emotional and psychological aspect of communication which in addition to my compassionate personality will allow me to connect with others in therapy on a deeper level. My position as a preschool teacher is a constant reminder of the joy I experience serving others. My patience, enthusiasm and flexibility are essential to keeping children engaged and motivated throughout the day and are crucial skills I can utilize when working with clients in the future, regardless of age of therapy setting.

My personal attributes, work ethic and passion for the field make me an ideal candidate for GRADUATE SCHOOL's program. I am excited to gain experience in both medical and school settings and have the opportunity to work in the Center for Communication with a variety of clients. The unique bond between faculty and students at SCHOOL is especially appealing to me. I strongly believe that a one on one environment is beneficial to both intellectual and professional growth and would be honored to be a part of SCHOOL's program.
vsa10002 2 / 4 4  
My only suggestion would be to rework this paragraph:

I hope to begin graduate school this fall at GRAD SCHOOL and move one step closer to achieving my dream of becoming a speech language pathologist. My goals and interests are a perfect match with GRAD SCHOOL program. I am excited to gain experience in both medical and school settings with clients of all ages. GRAD SCHOOL's emphasis on working with cultural and linguistically diverse individuals would provide the multicultural experience I crave and allow me to strengthen the skills I have developed. The academic rigor and characteristics of the program make GRAD SCHOOL my top choice for graduate school.

Personalize it a bit more to the university you are applying to. Is there a particular professors whose research is particularly interesting? Do they have an on-site clinic specializing in culturally or linguistically diverse individuals? Anything explicitly specific to the school that swayed you to apply here would be important to include - let them know that you've really done the research on their program and what they have to offer! What you have right now is a bit vague and could be included in your SOP for a number of programs, make it unique to each one!
OP knsimmons13 1 / 3  
Thank you so much for your feedback. I edited that paragraph and added more specific information based on the program. What do you think of my revisions?
I find this is pretty good. The only point I would like to suggest is that to include something to say (more specifically) about your future career plans, short or long term goals. Then show how this particular program would help you achieve them. The admission guys are interested to know how you are going to be benefited by their program in terms of reaching your goals.

Home / Graduate / My patience, enthusiasm and flexibility ; SOP Speech Pathology