An outline of your future career plans and intentions - Cambridge

liying 2 / 3  
Please give an outline of your future career plans and intentions and explain how your proposed studies in Cambridge will help to achieve these aims.

My career goal is to work in an investment bank, such as Goldman Sachs. I plan to serve as a quant in the field of risk management. My career plans are listed as followed:

2017 Graduate from Cambridge.
2017 Analyst in an investment bank.
Tasks: Process and analyze data, do daily risk management reports, monitor daily risk indicators.
Goal: Gain an in-depth insight of the corporate businesses. Build important social networks. Develop transferable skills.
2019 Associate in an investment bank
Tasks: Design risk management reports, build risk management models (such as credit rating model), do special reports on risk management, identify and assess risks of new products.

Goal: Play an important part in the corporate businesses. Assume responsibilities for products or clients. Mainly develop quantitative models.
2022 Vice president in an investment bank
Tasks: Independently lead projects.
Goal: Become the leading part in a team
2025 Executive director & Managing director
Tasks: Focus on overall management, control total risks, lead high-level projects
Long goal Start my own company to provide financial consulting services for Chinese enterprises and contribute my share to their prosperity.

My graduate study at Cambridge will prepare me for my future career in several significant ways.

Firstly, the rigorous curriculum will provide me with highly relevant and fundamental knowledge. The preparatory course offers the required mathematical and statistical methods, which are essential for both further study (e.g. Econometrics) and future work (e.g. Quantitative model establishment). The economics modules, such as Econometric Methods, Time Series, will teach me how to process data, build models, and predict trends using empirical statistics. This kind of analysis procedure will be applied frequently in my future work to assess the potential risks. As for the finance modules, such as Venture Capital in the Innovation Economy, they provide theories and models directly related to the financial industry. These courses will enable me to have an in-depth insight of the mechanism of the financial world and to learn how to achieve the optimum by strategies. Therefore, all these courses together form a comprehensive knowledge system to cultivate an outstanding quant. I will not only learn the technical methods by understanding and applying the theoretical ideas, but also develop an analytical mindset, which is vital for analysis work.

Secondly, the dissertation writing will develop my research skills. I will study a variety of topics and choose a feasible and meaningful one to explore. I will establish a solid model by applying what I will have learned during the courses to an appropriate set of data. Thus every step will be completed via intensive research and repetitive trials, which will enable me to think independently and analyze critically. Besides, I will receive the professional guidance at Cambridge. Thanks to the excellent and responsible faculty, I will be supervised and helped from the beginning of subject selection to the end of dissertation submission. The discussion with my supervisor will prevent me diverging from my subject and help me to learn professional research methods. The dissertation writing procedure will be a complete research experience, laying foundation for future projects conduction in my career.

Thirdly, Cambridge provides a comfortable and positive environment for my life and study. I will live, eat and socialize in an autonomous college, which provides an ideal platform for me to interact with people from different backgrounds and learn different cultures. Exposure to various lifestyles and customs will help me understand the diversity of cultures and cultivate personal courteous and respect for others. Furthermore, there are over one hundred libraries at Cambridge, which are all well equipped with advanced facilities and comprehensive books. I can not only use the plentiful resources for academic study, but also enjoy myself in novels, magazines and other materials. In addition, the university museums and collections are a world-class resource with more than five million works of art, artifacts and specimens. I can make the most of them to expand my outlooks and learn to interpret things from different perspectives. Therefore, Cambridge ensures an all-round development and cultivate me to be a specialist with extensive knowledge.

Fourthly, the well-rounded career services at Cambridge can help me make future career choices and raise the possibilities to be employed by pronounced corporations that can provide me with invaluable experience. Colorful campus activities provide a direct way for me to make acquaintance with alumni and professors. Interpersonal skills and leadership abilities will also be cultivated by actively participating in university activities.

In sum, my study in Cambridge will equip me with a strong foundation in finance and economics, rich experience in modeling and quantitative analysis, comprehensive ideas of arts and cultures, and strong interpersonal skills. These personalities and abilities are essential for my future career to be an outstanding qaunt. Therefore, with world-leading faculty and top-notch resources, your programme, I am convinced, will offer me a worthwhile learning journey.
zyuanxia 1 / 4  
good structure
OP liying 2 / 3  
thanks
zyuanxia 1 / 4  
but you have not point out how study at cambidge will prepare you for your long-term goal. You'd better mention it as well then the essay would be more comprehensive. :)
Ying, first of all, the structure of your essay is nowhere near what is asked in the prompt, indeed it asked for an outline of your career plans and this should should be written in paragraph form and not like a calendar planner.

For the body of your essay, we will take it one paragraph at a time.

- Firstly , the rigorous
- which is vital for work analysis work .

- SecondlyNext , the dissertation
- I will establish a solid model by applying what I will have
- learned during the
- Besides, I will receive thea professional guidance
- The discussion with my supervisor will prevent me from diverging
- projects conduction in my career.

So this is the first part of my remarks, I'll get back to you for the rest of the essay.
- Thirdly , Cambridge
- the diversity of cultures and cultivate personal characteristics such as being
- to expand my outlooks and learn
- Therefore, Cambridge ensures

- FourthlyLastly , the well-rounded
- ColorfulEngaging campus activities provide

- In sum,I conclude that my study in Cambridge

Ying, this is the final remarks for your essay, your essay is written pretty good but I'm still not convince, there's something missing from the details of your essay.

What is missing is the part were you have to share what you can do and share to the Cambridge community, I understand that you will be a great addition to the institution, however, what can you do to be of help maintain the Cambridge that is known to many as one of the best institutions. This information can be crucial to your application so I suggest that you insert a few sentences about this matter and you should be good to go.

Home / Graduate / An outline of your future career plans and intentions - Cambridge