'the operations of the petroleum industry' for Petroleum and Environmental Tehnology

jayymanuel 1 / -  
I would like to study Petroleum and Environmental Technology, because I have a degree in Environmental Technology and Engineering from University. Studying Environmental Tech. gave me a perfect understanding of my environment and its existence. I got to understand that the environment (air, land, water) existed in a natural state from the onset, but as a result of industrial revolution/ anthropogenic activities of the 20th century, the natural state of the environment has been altered. This alteration I was made to know causes adverse effect, thereby, making the environment inhabitable. With my knowledge of the study of the environment, it is evidence that the adverse impacts of our activities on the environment can be checked, if not to a 100%, but to the barest minimum. These adverse impacts are better checked at source/point of origination if properly managed.

I wanted to get MSc. in Environmental Management previously, because I thought about the fact that understanding the environment and its principles of management would go a long way in helping check its degradation. But on a second thought, I asked myself what basically there is to manage and what I am looking to manage in my environment. After much reflection of these thoughts the following added to my desire to study Petroleum and Environmental Technology:

1. The adverse impact on our environment arises from various sources. The hydrocarbon industry is one of such; the inadequate use of natural resources and improper disposal of energy by-products poses adverse impact not only on the air, water and land, but increasingly on the entire ecosystem. The causes of environmental problems may be diverse and numerous, but the hydrocarbon fuel cycle from research seems to be the most apparent on a global basis. It creates in particular three major forms of environmental problems: air pollution, acid rain, and more importantly, global warming. The environmental problems created by the production and consumption of fossil fuels in general and petroleum in particular is of truly global dimensions. They represent one of the greatest environmental concerns shared by the entire international community.

2. Nigeria being an oil rich nation would have a lot of her activities leading to detrimental impacts on the environment.
Analyzing the above stated; it can be said that petroleum production and consumption has probably brought out both the best and worst of modern civilization. The industry has contributed enormously to world economic growth and a higher standard of living in our time. On the other hand, the downside of petroleum development has left profound adverse impact on the global environment. Hydrocarbons are now viewed with increasing scepticism for their environmental consequences. Thus we can say energy, an irreplaceable part of our life and it is highly correlated with the environment.

In conclusion, since the hydrocarbon industry contributes greatly to the environmental problems we are faced with, then the need to understand the operations of the petroleum industry would be
deepakbaniya 3 / 92 2  
would like to study Petroleum and Environmental Technology, because I have a degree in Environmental Technology and Engineering from University.

Joy, After writing this first sentence, do you think you need to write some more sentences to tell the admission committee why you want to study the particular subject.My suggestion is write some background on your undergrad study, your interest, experience and summerize the whole "degree study" experience to conclude that this is one of the reason you are interested to study the subject.

Home / Graduate / 'the operations of the petroleum industry' for Petroleum and Environmental Tehnology