There is only one definition of success - to be able to spend life in your own way

Sesh 1 / -  
The author of the statement defines that success is one's ability to lead life on one's own terms. A life which has freedom to choose what we want to do is definitely a successful one and would appeal to many. However freedom alone cannot be a measure of success.

The world has seen many great individuals who have sacrificed their freedom for the betterment of human life. For example, Mahatma Gandhi has given up his promising career as a lawyer, his wealth and family life to achieve independence for India. He was jailed (lost his freedom) and suffered humiliation at the hands of British. However his unquenched thirst of achieving freedom for India has made his life a highly successful and inspirational one. If only he had put his freedom ahead of others' freedom struggle then his life would not have been as succcessful. Success may have different definitions than just freedom.

On the other side of the coin, there are successful people who lead lives on their own terms. For example, Richard Branson, chairman of the Virgin group, lives life to the fullest while managing a large diversified enterprise. Therefore, success can mean different things to different people. Success can have different paths like leadership, power, money, fame, spirituality, innovation, academic excellence etc. What it means to be successful is a each one's perception and cannot be bound to one aspect.

In sum, ability to spend your life in your own way is one way to perceive success which may appeal to many due to its attractiveness. However, freedom is not the sole definition of success.
frankazelo 1 / 1  
I agree with you. The notion that success' sole definition is to be able to spend your life in your own way sounds so absolute that it is bound to be flawed. However I am not sure "being able to spend life in your own way" really boils down to "freedom". It might mean just being capable to make good powerful decisons for yourself.

One definition of freedom that I always found intriguing was by Henry Kissinger "Freedom is when a person has the ability to do what he ought to not what he wants to"

I hope I helped
andydras 1 / 3  
Yes, success is what you think success is..

What is your definition of success? Before you can achieve success, you need to define what success means to you. Unless you have a clear vision of what success is to you, you cannot work towards it.

Success means different things to different people. For some, monetary reward is a measure of success. Yet others have multiple definition of success.

They measure it across a few areas. It can be career, health, spiritual, emotional, time or financial. As an example, one can be successful in one's career but not emotionally. Of course, this list isn't exhaustive - so you can add areas that are relevant to you.

To find your own definition of success you need to dig deep within yourself and question your values in life. What are your strengths and weaknesses? What are the things that are important to you? By answering these questions you can then come closer to your own definition of success.

Home / Graduate / There is only one definition of success - to be able to spend life in your own way