Materials Engineering was not easy start; PS for MSc - USA

zhyzhy 1 / -  
Hello. here is my PS, which is used for applying for a master's position in USA, however, it's too long, can you help me delete irrelevant parts? Thanks!!!

PS
When I first joined the courses for Materials Engineering on my first year at the university, it was not easy start. Until my second year, I was struggling to understand the course style, which was too theoretical, was not effective for me either. I was disheartened and there were times when I expressed my perplexity towards the academe, but what made me stay? What convinced me that this course was the right one for me, that if I stopped pursuing it, I would miss my life's most important journey?

It was on the Christmas Eve of 2010, that night, I luckily found out a branch seized my curiosity. The description of Moore's law, which emphasized by our department head in a lecture at that night, consolidates what had attracted me towards Materials Science and Engineering, which was to grasp the core technology of the materials on the electronic navigation system to help China manufacture an aircraft carrier independently. Not until that night did I aware that electronic information continues to control the trend and to promote the quality of people's lives and the fact that electronic materials plat a tremendous role in this change, has been the point of my devotion to materials engineering, the reason why I continuously labor through arduous course work in the next two years of my undergraduate study, and my inspiration to pursue higher learning at Solid-State Electronics research area in Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Towards my junior year, I began to obtain a better understanding of the theories that were taught in college's first couple of years. Because we were provided enhanced practical courses that corresponded to the theoretical course we took in the first two years, I noticed that the practical courses were quite comprehensive and enjoyably challenging. This development made me realize that my learning style was experience-based which complemented my chosen field of study since its concepts required skills beyond memorizing theories and formulas. Though my overall GPA was affected by my grades on my first two years in college, I am confident that my improved momentum will be reflected by the excellent grades I obtained my junior year, as well as in my research and practical performance.

One of the tasks that displayed my research abilities was my final thesis project at Inorganic Nonmetallic Materials Technology. 7 days were given to prepare for the presentation and as group leader, I was responsible for determining our topic and the direction of our presentation. As the focus was on advanced materials, I naturally focused on electronics materials which by then had already caught my interest. In particular, I was curious as to exploring possibility of Moore's law no longer being adequate. The density of integration increases sharply but the scales of a semiconductor chip is limited. Thus, I posited that one day, it was possible that Moore's law would no longer be adequate. After spending several days in the library, reading through various references, I finally found a theoretical and relatively underdeveloped technology, Quantum Computer. Selecting this as our topic, set our team to work; I divided the tasks among the members, discussed our research data together, and planned the layout of our presentation in class. Our cooperation, team work, and ample presentation coupled with the innovative topic caught the audiences' curiosity, earning us the top prize for the year. I am especially satisfied with our team's collective research and thesis because our topic was related to a theoretical course study, which could be considered an excellent foundation for my future graduate studies. Moreover, I had found a new area of study, Quantum Control, which only deepened my resolve to explore the field of electronic materials further.

Fascinated by the realm of electronic materials, I continued to search for information on this area, and discovered the important role of RRAM, which is make from ferroelectric materials, in this area. Upon learning that this area was the focus of the research being conducted by Professor Aidong Li at the Nanjing Nation Laboratory of Microstructures, I volunteered to aid her in her research. At the lab, I conducted a research on the preparation of Ferroelectric nanocrystal BaTiO3 and PZT by hydro-thermo method and studied their dielectric and electric-optic properties. During the experiment, I encountered various difficulties including failing many times to create an adequate sample with correct stoichiometric ratio, however, I make it through by frequently summarizing from failure. Through my work in this lab, I realized the challenges of scientific research and how only through following my own interest, focus, and hard work can I progress in the field of electric materials. It was in that very moment that I decided to devote myself to pursuing advancement in this specific area.

My lifelong goal to be one of the top engineers in electronic devices requires the extent of knowledge and practice that goes beyond the typical undergraduate learning of the theories and concepts of engineering. As I look ahead to the last few months before my college graduation, I know that the time has come to prepare for the next chapter of my academic journey.

As a prospective graduate student of the master's degree program at the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin, I firstly consider to qualify for an internship at a high-technology company such as Samsung to enable application and expertise on the subjects I learned from graduate education. Along the way, I would consider obtaining a PhD to ensure a strong career in the field of electronic devices and innovative materials design. It is my aim to share what I create into production so that everyone could experience its benefits.

I choose to study at the Cockrell School for the opportunity it offers to explore cutting edge research direction in Solid-state Electronics alongside its 18 globally-recognized faculties. I was attracted further by its Microelectronics Research Center, affiliated research units that provide opportunities to conduct discipline-oriented, collaborative, and interdisciplinary research. There is nothing better than working with the topnotch professionals in the field and an institution that invests highly on research aimed towards discovering ways to improve global technology. I hope that the admissions committee will perceive my sincere dedication for engineering and grant me the opportunity to continue my education at their prestigious university.
Prettywings 1 / 74  
It was on the Christmas Eve of 2010, that night, I luckily found out a branch seizedthat piqued my curiosity
7Seven days were given
I firstlywill first consider to qualifyqualification for an

Interesting research!

Home / Graduate / Materials Engineering was not easy start; PS for MSc - USA