Knowledge, responsibility, hard work and dedication ; MPH SOP for US university

nani1 1 / 1  
dear moderators and members here is my SoP for MPH at US university...all comments are well come . I realy appreciate in adnavce.

criteria:Your personal statement should inform the committee why you have decided to pursue public health. Write about something important to you in the field, or about the driving force behind your motivation toward this career path. Explain things about yourself that are not immediately apparent in your resume and transcripts.

I came to field of Community health after a long influence by my father, medical school and finally of my own preference. As long as I remember wanted to peruse infectious disease. Though perusing infectious disease without full knowledge of preventive medicine is like one hand clapping. Lionshare for preventive medicine I believe will be equipped by scientific bases in studying master in public health.

My late father ;my role model is a well known community leader and a lot of people used to come to our house for vast varieties of social and personal issues and I always amazed how he handle things learn how to be a good listener. Partly well influenced by my father and partly my own inclination and interest I always been driven to understand disadvantageous people. Born in an extended family and in a culture where elderly word respected like words of GOD, I learned the value of listening and discussion.

As enthusiatic physician. My training and experiencing in east Africa , xxxxx thought me the value of community mobilization hence most of infectious disease and communicable disease can easily addressed by engaging the community in care and prevention.

Community based training (CBT) an innovative training philosophy found only in xxxxx university. This program bridge the gap in preventive medicine it values 20% of study time in medical school. After introductory training on epidemiology, research methodology, health care management course , and environmental science courses and an outstanding dedication by our professors ;we are a group of young energetic students went to community do problem solving steps including site selection , identify community , develop investigation tools , gather data , process and analysis of information , listing and prioritizing problems , drawing plan of action , carrying out intervention and monitoring. Even though the program lasted 6 and half years we were working on different projects include malaria control, water sanitation, community health education, HIV/AIDS/TB care and vaccination at country side at northern boundary of xxxxx University

It was a firsthand experience where I was involved as a team member, rapporter , team leader and negotiator with funding agencies for our projects .These projects are real community problems and we implemented real community solutions. I learnt the power of community engagement in designing strategies to tackle community issues and empowerment to monitor them.

In June 2007 joined Doctors without border, a humanitarian not for profit organization, responsible for inpatient and out patient care helping displaced people due to war and natural disaster and underserved communities.our project located at northern part of xxxxxx.HIV, Kalazar (v.leishmaniasis) and tuberculosis are typical diseases for our care.

I remember in Oct.2007 I had received 4 patients who are unconscious and had diarrhea illnesses characteristically typical to cholera all came from a farm couple of miles away from our project. We stabilized the patients. As a team leader I mobilize an emergency epidemic surveillance team to evaluate situation. After 2 hours of horse riding we arrived to village: it was true that more than half of the member (over 120 individual) had mild to moderate diarrhea illnesses, 8 people are already died due to severe diarrhea. We are able to secure water source. We were fortunate enough to have rapid test for cholera; it was positive for commonest cholera strains, we sent sample to head office in Addis Ababa. No one expected this much wide extent and more than 1500 cases of cholera treated that season. on top of that I was a team member for surveillance of epidemics situations especial cholera, kalazar, malaria and meningitis we evaluate trend of cases in nearby villages

As follow up supervisor I overshadow the quality control due to the effect of extreme temperature in HIV testing, the diagnosis of kalazar by diagnostic spleenic aspiration. I was core center for studying the effect of SSG and pentavalent antimonial agents for kalazar and relationship of Kalazar/HIV. Hence as part of international team working in evidence based clinical care where risk of remoteness of our field site and poor infrastructure, decision making favored by strong clinical skill. Data collection on toxicity and effect of drugs mainly relay on documentation of patient progress, early identification of side effect and sending samples to central labs in capital city Addis Ababa for quality control. During my stay with Doctors without border; I earned trust & confidence by my colleagues, recognized and promoted to supervisor position on January 2008.

As world class educator in public health, curriculum of MPH program at university of ****** has wide ranges of course that can fulfill all my need to peruse with . I believe I fully utilize all experience and resource. Work hard for my dream because I am experienced to use even limited resources maximally. I believe am fully committed for the objective of school of public health.

Finally the variety and complexity of problems I had encountered in patient care is the area that most profoundly. The experience I had revealed helped me to lean towards studying scientific bases of public health policies and to pursue as an infectious disease specialist and clinical researcher after wards.. As I see it: Knowledge, responsibility, hard work and dedication are corner stone for my clinical career. I believe that I'm a strong candidate for your MPH program because I'm looking for challenge, to become part of an innovative team where we all struggle together for lifelong professional growth.
Kitsumi 4 / 97 16  
Do not use & unless it is in a title. It's unnecessary and only makes your essay informal.
Add "a", "the", or some sort of article before your nouns. Or at least, some of your nouns.
Add "has", "had", or some variation of "to have" in front of a couple verbs.
You're writing in the past tense. USE PAST TENSE. This means no "are", "is", or "expects".
You just have issues with verbs, so I suggest you look some articles up.
You need a subject for your sentences. For example, where is the subject in this sentence:

Work hard for my dream

Please, use Microsoft Word or anything that has a spellcheck.
sobegreentea972 1 / 15 2  
eE ast Africa

You have a lot of missed capitalization. You have to capitalize ALL PARTS of Person, place or, things.

Community health

Either both should be capital or none at all. Like my name Jonny appleseed is not right. (Jonny Appleseed) is correct.

There were plenty others.

Anything with your abbreviations in parenthesis, I reckoned is a title or name should be capitalize. Cc ommunity Bb ased t Training p Program (CBTP) .. Do it to your other one.
OP nani1 1 / 1  
thank you all...its realy helpfull

Home / Graduate / Knowledge, responsibility, hard work and dedication ; MPH SOP for US university