My family considers Education is a must ; Statement of Purpose/Petroleum Engineering

s_k 1 / 1  
I belong to a family, which considers education as very expensive but a necessity of life, and truly it is. That's why I could not make for private tuitions from my secondary classes, except for Inter level mathematics. My father always advises other peoples to no to eat food, but educate your children first. He did not have chance to go to school and after facing realities of life, he concluded this statement. This is the driving force which makes me lead in all way of my academic career. Since the beginning of my secondary school education, I have been aware of the challenges posed by developments in science and technology. This awareness grew into a profound interest, becoming the force that always compels me to come up with solutions no one else has thought of. Hence, I found myself well suited to engineering which is the perfect field for independent thinkers, always trying something new.

I can still vividly recall the "Highly Paid Salary" reason of securing admission in a reputable engineering institute, XYZ University, with Petroleum Engineering as majored. Being adventurous in nature was one of the contributing factors as field work is a big part of this sector. What most appeals to me about this program is to know how form and extract one of the most important energetic resources or hidden treasure of our planet. But as I made transitions to my Final Year, I found Petroleum Engineering even more interesting and challenging than what I had imagined. During this period, I have gained new visions about most aspects of my career. Right from the second year, my kind of preparation was to gain knowledge and subject in depth rather than just getting marks though I was able to put up good marks on board and maintaining the top positions among my peers.

In my undergraduate years, I've acquired a strong and comprehensive background in the fundamentals of the basic Petroleum Engineering subjects. Well Testing Interpretation and Reservoir Simulation are the subjects which captivated my interest when I studied them by the most inspiring and pedantic teachers I ever had, who did their MS from Imperial College, always giving exposure of their master's degree and field work, motivating me to study them in greater depth. These subjects are full of interest and really need your critical thinking to come up with cogent solution to tackle the problem. With the emerging importance of exploitation of Unconventional reservoir, making it economically feasible to produce, I really want to pursue my research work in this field as there are only few experts in the globe who understands their complex behavior modeling, its management, well testing interpretation and simulation technique.

Therefore, a good graduate program is an essential step for realizing my professional ambition of becoming a competent researcher. An extremely distinguished faculty, an environment of the most diverse students, the state of the art research facilities and financial assistance scholarship program without which I am not able to pursue my higher studies in any university, are the most important factors, which motivated me to apply in ABC University. Admission to the master's program at ABC University would be a crucial step in my academic, professional and personal life.

I am confident that I would surely synchronize to your standards. I sincerely hope to have a mutually beneficial association with your University to contribute my best towards making a successful research endeavor.
singmearainbow - / 1 1  
Hi s_k,

Sorry to be blunt but your SOP is rife with grammatical errors, is poorly structured, and superficial. I would delete the first part about your family as, although it largely affected/affects your life in general, it has little to do with your pursual of petroleum engineering as a degree and is, frankly, a little bit awkard. Actually, my impression from this essay is that you are pursuing grad school to simply elevate your pay grade and please your father--even though this is true--it is not something you would want an admissions committee to know about.

Well Testing Interpretation and Reservoir Simulation are the subjects which captivated my interest when I studied them by the most inspiring and pedantic teachers I ever had, who did their MS from Imperial College, always giving exposure of their master's degree and field work, motivating me to study them in greater depth. These subjects are full of interest and really need your critical thinking to come up with cogent solution to tackle the problem . With the emerging importance of exploitation of Unconventional reservoir, making it economically feasible to produce, I really want to pursue my research work in this field as there are only few experts in the globe who understands their complex behavior modeling, its management, well testing interpretation and simulation technique. ---> I would expand on this as this is your purpose.

Also, I would advise you to list previous research experience if you had any.

All in all, it would be best to re-write your SOP--google "how to write an effective SOP" and post your new draft here for comments.

Hope that helps
OP s_k 1 / 1  
thanks... this was my very first attempt to write my SOP.. Hope I would do more better in future post.
Well... I suggest you to write about how you developed your passion for the field of engineering in your introductory para. And in that you can talk about the factors that motivated you and can talk about your family influence and the background. Have more emphasis on how you are passionately involved with this field.

Then in your proceeding paras tell them convincingly that you are equipped with everything, both academically and personally to follow this course and take up all the challenges. For this purpose you need to talk about your credentials, achievements, experiences etc.etc.

Do antoher draft and post it... don't worry about grammar too much because people who are here would certainly help you. This is a place you find free on-line help and make use of it and make sure you would help others too :)

Take this advice of singmearainbow too:

Home / Graduate / My family considers Education is a must ; Statement of Purpose/Petroleum Engineering