"environmental challenges" - SOP for Master in Environment Change and Management

plutolin 1 / -  
Hi all,

I need your suggestions for my statement of purpose.
Any comment is appreciated!

The world faces major environmental challenges, with far-reaching consequences not just for human beings, but for the entire biosphere. Issues such as climate change, the risks posed by genetic engineering, biodiversity loss, desertification, looming water scarcity, depletion of oil reserves and the growing need for energy conservation have massive implications for the planet as a whole. However, finding workable solutions are challenging as environmental management often appear to conflict with economic growth, and the driving forces of economic globalisation have resulted in environmental issues being lowered on national agendas to a significant extent. Through my previous work experience as an environmental analyst, I deeply realised that analysis is one thing, having the foresight and the ability and strength to manage it is another thing altogether. Therefore, I am pursuing a second postgraduate degree in Environment Change and Management in order to be well-equipped with the tools to cope with the environment management.

During my undergraduate years, I was a major in Biotechnology at the College of Life Sciences, XXX University - the most prestigious university in China. My hard work and industry brought me an excellent GPA that was among the top five percent in the entire grade and I was twice awarded scholarships in the college. During the seven months' final project, I participated in a XXXXXX project: "Study of Wild Plants and Animals in JM Nature Reserve", where I obtained the opportunity to conduct real-life investigations and to familiarise myself with Ecology and Conservation. Apart from technical knowledge in the fundamentals of life sciences and biotechnology, I gained self-discovery from my university education - my strong interest in the environmental applications of biotechnology. I feel that a career utilising my expertise in technology for environmental purposes is my true calling.

With this self-discovery I entered the graduate program in Environmental Technology at XXXXXXX. I gained a deep insight into European environmental technology, law and policy, and developed practical environmental problem-solving skills through laboratory work, problem-solving tutorials and policy analysis. I also mastered several useful techniques such as GIS, Risk Assessment and Environmental Impact Assessment. During the five month-long final project semester, working with the botanists in J Lab, I sequenced and compared the 769 ITS region of lichenised algae rDNA in order to determine whether photobiont diversity limits the tolerance of the whole lichen symbiosis to the atmospheric pollution. From this project I have gained deep insight into the relationship between lichen diversity and environmental change, and how environmental pollution can be monitored by quantifying the change of biodiversity.

Upon graduation from XXXXXXXX, I worked for COMPANY. As a project manager responsible for EIA reports drafting for iron-steel projects and related policies, I developed an interest in the growing problem of meeting the resource and energy requirements of an ever-increasing population. There, I passed the exam and gained the title of National Registered Environmental Impact Assessment Engineer, and took part in drafting seven reports for five projects and two policies. The demanding and constant workload stretched me emotionally and mentally, allowing me to develop a greater capacity for stress and to improve my self-confidence.

I earned the chance to transfer to the COMPANY in January 2010. Since Chinese government was planning to establish its first Environment and Energy Exchange in southwest China, I participated in the panel responsible for policy analysis. Through communication and co-operation with environmental financing intuitions and international environmental exchanges, I discovered that carbon trade may not be hugely suitable for China in the short-term, because of the lack of compatible policies, company ability-building, and even a standard system in each industry for quantifying energy savings in terms of greenhouse gas emissions. It would need at least five years for a better policy atmosphere and economic system to accommodate it effectively. I suggested that during this time-gap a transition method of energy-saving trade, rather than carbon trade, could be used. The final section of my part of the report presented a matrix comprised of political, social, international, and domestic factors, to help establish a trading system.

In conclusion, I feel that my achievements to date make me an outstanding candidate and I fully expect to continue to succeed through my commitment to the field and to my diligence. I hope to make full use of the strong teaching, advanced research facilities and inspiring academic climate that your esteemed university offers. I plan to especially focus on climate policy and international climate negotiations. After my Master's programme, I would like to continue my studies and obtain a Ph.D in the same field. This would enable me to combine a research career with advising governments on environmental issues. I would relish the opportunity to contribute to the booming of Chinese environmental exchanges under the driving force of relevant policies, strike a balance between development and environmental concern, and solving environmental issues through practical management methodologies.
eksen 1 / 2  
While I am not a native speaker and/or can't see any grammar mistakes, I should say that the structure is perfect. It's totally logical, detailed and convincing, well done! :D

Home / Graduate / "environmental challenges" - SOP for Master in Environment Change and Management