My enthusiasm towards electrical gadgets; Essay for Phd in Telecommunication

u08155 1 / -  
please evaluate my essay for Phd in telecommunication

Statement of Purpose
xxx Ph.D. Applicant
"Concern for man and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors . . . Never forget this in the
midst of your diagrams and equations". To skim through these quotes daily, by Albert Einstein, one of the greatest minds
ever, inclined me towards a goal that thrives in achieving perfection in whatever field I chose. Basically interested in anything
amazing in my vicinity, my enthusiasm towards electrical gadgets was piqued in 9th grade when the teacher explained the
complete phenomena behind the working of a radio. The meticulous attention needed to be paid to the components to get an
undistorted output apparently from nowhere amazed me. It was then, that I decided to pursue a career in the abundant field
of telecommunication. My goal is to develop into a proficient electrical engineer with profound knowledge and to productively
translate the technical cognition into practicable applications to the society. I aspire to pursue PhD Degree in Electrical
Engineering with specialization in Electrical Systems, at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act" says Anatole France, a notable writer. I worked hard and stood
par excellence in higher secondary school certificate achieving gold medal. This distinction led me to one of the best Institutes
of Electrical Engineering in my country i.e., University of Engineering and Technology Lahore (UET). UET provided me the
privilege to work with eminent scholars of my country and develop an expansive set of engineering skills. During my four
years of undergraduate study I explored different aspects of Electrical Engineering. I learned about the abstraction levels
which mask the complexity of electrical systems, starting from solid state devices at the bottom to user programs at the top.
It exposed me to the entire gamut of electrical courses thus laying a strong foundation for both my Hardware and Software
fundamentals. Emerging as the course topper in 'Electromagnetic Theory', and 'Applied Probability and Statics' coupled
with a multitude of projects and a study of graduate level concepts in 'Communication Systems', 'Digital System Design',
and 'Computer Networks', boosted my confidence to explore Telecommunication further.
During my freshman year at university I joined The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) of my university
which allowed me to participate and organize various national and international technical competitions and exhibitions. This
provided an opportunity to interact with renowned researchers and scholars and to realize that there is still so much to learn
and acquire. On completing my junior year, during the summer vacation I undertook a research work at High Performance
computing and Networking Lab (HPCNL) at the Al- Khwarizmi Institute of Computer Science (KICS). I worked mainly
with arm processors; writing performance counters, cross compilation for multicore arm processors and loadable modules
for hybrid kernel. I studied virtualization, emulation and multicore architecture. I also performed as an instructor in a
short course Programming Multi-Core Processors, A Hands On Approach for Embedded, Mobile, and Distributed Systems
Development. At this point I developed a taste for research.
One of the primary facets of today's research is telecommunication. From analog telephones to 4G wireless cell-phone,
communication has not merely advanced; it has grown by leaps and bounds. This growth has revolutionized the world in the
way we work, think and interact. With the developments in wireless networking, the freedom to access information 'anytime,
anywhere' is in the offing, thereby redefining the concept of connectivity. Hence, the future belongs to an 'IP everywhere
and over everything era', packed with wireless interfaces and intensive networking. There are many challenges that arise in
this interconnected world like maintaining security, routing, enhancing multimedia networking, etc. Extensive research is
required to tackle them. It will be an exciting time in the academies to learn and participate in this campaign.
My exposures, associations, readings, and work - all have served to push me into deciding to study, research, teach and
discover different aspects of communication. Currently I am working as Associate Research Officer in Center for Language Engineering
(CLE) where we are developing Optical Character Recognition for Urdu (National Language of Pakistan; Nastalique
Script) and as a Lecturer in Department of Electrical Engineering, UET Lahore taking lectures and lab of undergrad students
My undergraduate studies and interest has left me with keen sense of appreciation for the need for evolution of communication
systems. A PhD degree in a professional and innovative environment will further equip me with intellectual depth
and breadth along with greater practical knowledge. With the aim of developing a high level of competence and unparalleled
proficiency in my chosen field, I wish to pursue a career of research in the academia and ultimately become a faculty member
at a leading academic institute.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

This is hardly a SOP. While you give great detail on your background, you do not talk about what areas you specifically wish to study and why you wish to study these. In a Statement of Purpose that should pretty much be your main objective. Also you need to talk about the program and the resources you intend to utilize there. -AAO

Hope this helps.
katev 18 / 120 24  
I agree with admission2012 in that you do not really discuss what you intend to do; ie what your "purpose" is

equations".

punctuation always goes inside quotations. "equations."

achieving perfection ... anything amazing in my vicinity

I'm not a fan of the connotation of these phrases

'Electromagnetic Theory',

You need to move all of these commas. 'Electromagnetic Theory,'

4G wireless cell-phone

cell-phones

Home / Graduate / My enthusiasm towards electrical gadgets; Essay for Phd in Telecommunication