How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist? Physical therapy graduate school.

ajhall24 1 / 2  
APTA's vision for physical therapy is "transforming society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience." How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist?

In my experience, it is clear that everyone is affected by what happens within their body. I can recall debating with friends the idea that physical therapy is one of the most universal practices, in the sense that it affects everyone in some way. I firmly believe that whether you're a professional athlete or someone working a day to day desk job; your performance is only as adequate as your body's health. Unfortunately, there is a large proportion of our society that does not understand the importance of movement to our physical and mental health. It has become the standard in America and throughout much of the world to accept any physical dysfunction as normal and uncontrollable. I believe it will be my duty as a physical therapist to change this paradigm that injury and dysfunction are unavoidable and indefinite. I have come to understand the effects of injury and pain through my personal experiences as an athlete, full time student, and physical therapy aide. These experiences have taught me how well-bring improves when injuries are addressed, rather than ignored and allowed to control your life. The knowledge I've gained from therapists, schooling and work experience has taught me valuable information about the human body, which I will continue to use to use in my future career as a physical therapist.

In order to demonstrate how I will illicit these changes in society as a physical therapist, I need to first discuss the experiences that have driven me toward the field of physical therapy. My first physical therapy experience came about due to some knee pain I had been having as a fifth grade catcher for my local baseball team. I cannot honestly say that this experience was all positive. As most people know, physical therapy is often a painful and arduous process. The deep tissue massage and exercises were difficult to bare, but the progress and encouragement from the physical therapist were what really drove me. There is no better feeling in the world than knowing that you have worked through hard times and come out with a positive result. This is what has continuously drawn me towards the field of physical therapy. As a physical therapist I will be in a position to encourage others to reach their movement goals as I have done.

During college, peers knew I was on track to become a PT and often asked questions regarding pain they've experienced. As frustrating as it was to not possess the specific applied knowledge at this stage in my education, this experience drove me to learn even more so that I could help others. My brother reiceived his DPT during the time I was working towards my undergraduate degree in Kinesiology, and I found myself discussing many ideas with him. He has helped me with many injuries and has been a great influence on how to work hard and treat people with respect to improve the quality of life for patients. Another role model I've learned from is Doctor of Physical Therapy Kelly Starrett, who is best known for using his techniques in self mobilization to help populations from NFL players to desk workers. Recently I was able to set up meetings with Dr. Starrett in order to expand my knowledge in the field and address my own injuries.

As a physical therapy aide I found a feeling of accomplishment every day as I helped people with their exercise and mobility programs. It was rewarding to hear patients talk about their improvement throughout the program with the exercises that I was showing them. This directly demonstrated the impact that I was having on other human beings on their road to recovery. Witnessing people's moods and lives shift in a positive direction as a product of addressing their physical limitations, inspired me to work hard every day. I felt as though I was directly making someone's life better by improving their movement, which allowed them to return to their job, perform their favorite athletic activity, or return to playing with their children.

There are many activities that bring joy into my life including climbing, running, and cycling. These pursuits give me a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, but they do not complete me as a person. There is a deeply engrained desire to give back to the world that has been instilled in me through my experience as a student, observer, and physical therapy aide. Many of these experiences taught me that getting people to move is one of the most important aspects of health. The need for movement has never been greater in our society, and we need people to step up and help inspire others to live healthy lives. I strongly believe that physical therapy is the conduit through which I will improve movement and therefore the lives of those around me in the future.
sharahma 3 / 5  
and therefore the lives of those around me in the future.

. just a little mistake.
Aaron, why are you discussing your past experience with physical therapy when you are being asked to present your vision of yourself as a future physical therapist? You have spent the whole essay merely laying out the foundation for your desire to become a physical therapist, as well as how you were affected by your past experiences with physical therapy. Kindly review the prompt again. That is not what is being required of you. The prompt clearly states:

How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist?

The keyword here is future. There was nothing in your narrative that carried any reference to your future plans as a therapist. Due to the lack of foresight in your essay, it would be best for you to replace this essay with a new one that will better reflect the prompt instructions. I guess you are not sure about how to discuss this type of topic, so let me give you some idea as to how you can do that.

Since you are familiar with physical therapy and have your own experience regarding it. Think back to a time when you were injured and you had to undergo physical therapy. How did that particular moment affect your human experience? Do you think that it transformed you in some way in terms of improving the human experience?

Now that you have the idea in your head, think of how you can use that story to reflect your future as a physical therapist. Share what you learned from that specific experience and how you plan on utilizing the same once you become a physical therapist in the future. In that way, you will be able to properly present your idea of using the occupation in a manner that will improve the human experience. It could be anything from simply being a counselor type of physical therapist who listens and empathizes with his patient, or simply encouraging him to not give up when the therapy is painful and difficult. Those are ways by which you can help improve the human experience in my opinion. Perhaps you have a different idea regarding it? I would love to read about it :-)
2nd paragraph
- In order to demonstrate how I will illicitexecute these
- changes in the society as a physical therapist,
- I need to first discuss

3rd paragraph
- My brother reiceivedrecieved his DPT

Aaron, as much as we want to embody our profession, it takes a lot of hard work, dedication and the passion to drive you to where you want to be.

Going back to your essay, I'm just not sure if it's strong enough to seek admission to APTA, I made a few remarks on the 2nd paragraph and a typo error on the 3rd, be careful in writing and proof read it before submitting. I believe you could've done better in your essay by portraying or elaborating how you find physical therapy not as a profession but a dedication to help and serve others, educate them, share your knowledge and make physical therapy known as a way of life and as a way to embrace our bodies physical capacity.

Good luck!!!
OP ajhall24 1 / 2  
I firmly believe that whether you're an athlete or someone working at a desk; your performance is only as adequate as your body's well-being. Unfortunately, there is a large proportion of our society that does not understand the importance of movement to our physical and mental health. It has become the standard in America and throughout much of the world to accept any physical dysfunction as normal and uncontrollable. I believe it will be my duty as a physical therapist to change this incorrect paradigm. I have come to understand the effects of injury and pain through my personal experiences as an athlete, full time student, and physical therapy aide. These experiences have taught me how well-bring improves when injuries are addressed and controlled, rather than ignored and allowed to control your life. The knowledge I've gained from therapists, schooling and work experience has taught me valuable information about the human body that I will continue to use to use in my future career as a physical therapist.

In order to demonstrate how I will accomplish these changes in society as a physical therapist, I need to discuss the experiences that have driven me toward the field of physical therapy. My first physical therapy experience came about due to some knee pain I had been having as a fifth grade catcher for my local baseball team. I cannot honestly say that this experience was all positive. As most people know, physical therapy is often a painful and arduous process. The deep tissue massage and exercises were difficult to bare, but the progress and encouragement from the physical therapist were what really drove me. As a physical therapist, I will be in a position to empathize with others and encourage people to reach their movement goals as I have done.

During my undergraduate career, my peers knew I was on track to become a PT and often asked questions regarding pain they were experiencing. As frustrating as it was to not possess the specific applied knowledge to assist them at this stage in my education, this experience drove me to learn even more so that I could help others. In order to improve my ability to help others, I consulted physical therapists such as my brother, and Dr. Kelly Starrett who works with such populations as the NFL and Military. These two people are great examples of physical therapists who are effective in improving lives through movement. They have taught me the physical tools required to improve movement, as well as the psychological tools to inspire others. These are two equally important concepts that I will embody in my physical therapy career.

As a physical therapy aide I found a feeling of accomplishment every day as I helped people with their exercise and mobility programs. It was rewarding to hear patients talk about their improvement throughout the program with the exercises that I was showing them. This directly demonstrated the impact that I was having on other human beings on their road to recovery. Witnessing people's moods and lives shift in a positive direction as a product of addressing their physical limitations, inspired me to work hard every day. I felt as though I was directly making someone's life better by improving their movement, which allowed them to return to their job, perform their favorite athletic activity, or return to playing with their children. This feeling of helping others is something I look forward to experiencing on a daily basis as a future physical therapist.

The need for movement has never been greater in our society, and we need people to step up and help inspire others to live healthy lives. There is a deeply engrained desire to give back to the world that has been instilled in me through my experience as a patient, student, and physical therapy aide. As a patient I have learned to empathize with people who are dealing with physical impairment, and use this information to inspire others. My desire to seek out new information from my brother and Dr. Starrett has shown my enthusiasm to learn new information from credible sources. My experience as a physical therapy aide demonstrates that I have already impacted those around me by optimizing movement. I have no doubt that I will continue to improve the lives of others using the lessons I have learned from these experiences, along with many others. I strongly believe that physical therapy is the conduit through which I will improve movement and therefore the lives of those around me in the future.
OP ajhall24 1 / 2  
My edit is above. I have changed the tense to look at the future. Now I am explaining how each experience will make me an effective therapist in the future. Let me know what you think!
There is still too much background information in this essay for it to be considered a "future goals" essay. Rather than saying that you consulted with your brother and Dr. Starret, instead say that you are familiar with their work. Mention some pretty specific accomplishments of the doctor and then work up to saying that you will use her important concepts in the implementation of your future career. Then state some examples as to how you plan to implement it in the future. As for your brother, don't mention him unless he is a notable name in physical therapy treatment. The reviewer could really case less what a rank and file physical therapist thinks. Of course, if you were writing an essay based upon who influenced you to become a physical therapist, you can definitely use your brother as the topic of the essay.

You can really skip your first paragraph and just use the second paragraph instead. The first paragraph just feels like it is unnecessary in the essay. It has a pointless existence to it since it only helps you to open the essay, which can more effectively be done by the second paragraph. That is one reason that your essay still has more of a backstory feel to it rather than a "forward vision".

I am hoping that you will be able to write a closing statement that will provide the reviewer with an image of who and what you hope to be as a physical therapist in the future, based upon the prompt. I don't really get a strong idea of how you plan to "transform(ing) society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience". How do you plan to inspire your patients? How can you move them forward through the painful physical therapy? How can you help improve the treatment plans your chosen field of work by using movement to improve the human experience? Explain what you understand about the human experience in the context of Physical Therapy as you understand it. That should help the essay become further forward thinking in response.
covenant1992 4 / 7 1  
YOUR ESSAY CONTAINS TO MANY DETAILS ON WHY YOU CHOSE PT WHICH IS GOOD BUT THIS IS NOT YOUR BIOGRAPHY BUT SOMETHING THAT SHOULD SHOW YOU PAST AND FUTURE ACCOMPLISHMENTS WITH EMPHASIS ON THE FUTURE.

Home / Graduate / How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist? Physical therapy graduate school.