Computer science, SOP, MS in Software Engineering

skg_silicon 1 / 1  
Today there is a bit of computer science in every one's life. Now imagining a world without computer is really hard. The versatility and quick response of computer has fascinated me ever since my undergraduate days. My journey in the area of computing started with fundamentals of computers and 'C' programming with data structures. The first program I wrote with my own logic was to swap values between two variables. It was my first taste of success in practical programming which impelled me to go for higher degrees and to build a career in the same area.

After completion of my senior secondary (10+2), I enrolled for Bachelors program in computer Application from IGNOU, where I developed my interest towards computer science and graduated with 69% marks. During BCA, I studied almost all basic computer science papers which helped me to build a strong foundation to go for higher studies and choose a career in computer application. Specialized areas in Data Structures, System Analysis and Design, Software engineering, Computer Networks and Databases have been my strengths.

Subsequent to earning the BCA degree, I joined Masters Program in computer Application of Silicon Institute of Technology. SIT, affiliated to Biju Pattanaik University of Technology(BPUT) is one of the young & leading technical colleges in state of Orissa. During MCA, subjects like Discrete Maths, C programming, OOPS and C++, Operating Systems, Numerical Methods, Software Engineering, Databases etc were my area of focus. In almost all semesters of MCA I have secured 9+ points out of 10 CGPA. The last semester of MCA was internship program with Transworks Technology, where I developed a web based training planner for the HR department of the Organization. Here I got real exposure to the world of software. The internship program helped me to understand and experience the real software development life cycle. I completed MCA with average of 9.22 CGPA, and stood top amongst 1500 Masters in Computer Application. I have been awarded with "Gold Medal" from University for my achievement.

Upon post-graduating from SIT,Bhubaneswar I was offered Job with Infosys, Accenture, and Transworks Technologies(A part of Aditya Birla Group). I joined Accenture as Associate Software Engineer. This is where I learned concepts of Business Intelligence, and experienced around 3 to four software life cycles. Accenture India is a CMMI level 5 company where emphasis is placed on quality software delivery to its clients. It follows the best software engineering paradigms and allows us to implement best practices learnt from the past experience. I learned a lot in my present job. Our team is working for a leading Insurance company of USA. My responsibilities include interacting with the client team on a regular basis to understand the requirement, creating ETL Jobs to load the insurance data into the Enterprise Data Warehouse, test the code and then move the same into the production environment. I got ASE achiever's award for my exceptional performance in Accenture.

My goal in life is to implement my knowledge and computing skill set as an academician and researcher in a prestigious University. An immediate step towards my goal would be to pursue Masters Program in Software Engineering to enhance and sharpen my Software Engineering Knowledge. Subsequent to that I would like to pursue a doctorate degree in the same area, which will equip me with the qualities of a researcher. I am very much passionate about teaching. I find teaching fascinating since my college days, where I have got opportunities to teach engineering students. I have received appreciations for my teaching abilities from students as well as from teachers. Also I have been as a trainer in various knowledge sharing seminars in the present organization.

I came to know about XYZ's MS program from one of my friends and I am overwhelmed with the emphasis placed on technical and research methodology. I explored its website and really impressed with the curriculum of MS program in Software Engineering. Interestingly, there is a great scope for me to pursue PhD in the same area in XYZ. PQR, The XYZ Software Engineering Research Center which provides a systematic approach for research in the area of software, can be a perfect place for me to carry out my research work. I am confident of my technical and interpersonal management abilities and would appreciate the opportunity to be considered for the MS program in your esteemed University.
usalma2002 9 / 21  
Its a perfect proposal type essay.Nothing to improve here. You could reduce length of the essay.
In this essay, it is god to talk about "the computer." For example,
Now imagining a world without the computer is really hard.

The versatility and quick response of the computer has fascinated me ever since...

Specialized areas in Data Structures, System Analysis and Design, Software engineering, Computer Networks and Databases have been my strengths. (Right after this sentence, add a THESIS STATEMENT that tells the reader the main theme for the whole essay. Make it a sentence that expresses the message of the essay.

Subsequent to that I would like to pursue ---- you already used "subsequent" earlier. I think it is too much to use that word twice in the essay.

I came to know about XYZ's MS program from through one of my friends, and I am overwhelmed with the emphasis placed on technical and research methodology.

Impressive skills! This reflects seriousness. I think you'll be well-received!
OP skg_silicon 1 / 1  
Thank you Kevin and Umme Salma for your inputs. I have considered those changes.

Home / Graduate / Computer science, SOP, MS in Software Engineering