Some call knowledge passion; SOP-Systems engineering/German university

roshan_89 1 / 1 1  
Hi, this is the SOP I have written for applying to some German universities. I would like to improve it. Any kind of constructive criticism is much appreciated.

And I would prefer something soon. Thanks in advance.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

Knowledge has for long, been an asset that man has craved for. But it comes to only those who have the thirst to seek it. Some call this passion. But I would call it some degree of curiosity. It is the same that has urged me to go in constant search for passion and made me think of pursuing a master's degree. As a 10 year old, on seeing some tools lying in my uncle's house I was curious to repair my bicycle's brakes. In my attempt to repair them, I slowly understood the intricate working mechanism of the cable, spring and levers. The repair was done, but my passion and drive was evoked. Understanding that machines play a vital role in the sustenance and development of the human society, I wanted to associate my life with machines. Eventually, to understand and design machines had become my dream and my life's goal. I would like to explain my academic experiences gained through project works and in-plant trainings in undergraduate studies along with my working experience which have greatly helped me deciding upon the course of my future.

From a very young age I always had a flair for mathematics. Physics made me perceive how I understood things and kindled more questions. This was the genesis of my interest in machines. Knowing what my passion and drive was, I chose to pursue mechanical engineering as my major. My impressive academic record helped me gain admission into one of the elite colleges in my state, Misrimal Navajee Munoth Jain Engineering College, Chennai. College education opened doors to numerous interesting subjects like Engineering Design, Mechanics, Kinematics, Thermodynamics, Computer aided design, Heat and mass transfer, Finite element analysis.

As an active member of the "Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE) India", I had the opportunity to present a paper on "Performance improvement of engines" at the club's annual technical festival. Analyzing the computer generated models of an engine's ignition pattern; I came up with an idea to utilize the fuel trapped in the squish areas of the engine chamber. The idea was to make provision for the ignition fire to reach the ends of squish area before the end of Power stroke. This would ensure better fuel combustion while increasing the turbulence; the results being a cleaner and efficient engine. The paper received appreciation for its resourcefulness and cost effective factor. Working on this paper helped me realize the kind of mettle a computer can offer for man's pursuit of improvisation.

During my Final year, I worked on two projects in a short span of time efficiently. First was done at Hyundai Motors India, Chennai. This gave an opportunity to study the complete production process of the cars. Studying the process and programming of the robots was a great learning experience. The objective of the project was to reduce the occurrence of damage to car body and thereby the necessity of rework. As a part of a three man team, we carefully studied the entire process of the manual assembly line in an attempt to improve the already strong pass percentage of 96%. We identified the bottle necks, human errors responsible and suggested implementation of some tools, which we specially designed to maintain the optimum diameter spot weld electrode. We also designed guide rails to improve the positioning of the weld gun. Following these improvisations, we succeeded in improving the Pass percentage by a significant margin of 2%.

The second project at Simpson & co ltd, Chennai was aimed at finding a solution for proper assembly of a product with accessories, while ensuring minimal part damage during the process. My solution was a specially designed fixture to perform dual responsibilities. It will hold the parts in the required angles and absorb the excess hammering force, limiting it to required levels for the assembly process. I designed the fixture to meet the requirements and analyzed it successfully with CAD and analysis software Pro/E and ANSYS. Impressed by the simple and effective design the company has taken up efforts to employ the fixture in all their facilities.

Working on my projects helped me reaffirm the idea that today's industry needs effective methods to achieve the highest quality possible at minimal wastage, saving precious time and money. Conventional and manual methods prove to be insufficient to satisfy the current needs of the industry. However, in recent times new age technologies including Robots and Computers have been able to provide the much needed edge and means for man to perform most complex operations efficiently. Keeping this in mind, I decided to pursue my Masters in an inter-disciplinary course involving mechanical engineering along with electronics and computers. But this would require some prior knowledge about the respective fields which I had not received from my under graduate studies. Hence, in an attempt to gain knowledge about computing, automation and programming I decided to join a software firm.

I was recruited by Cognizant Technology Solutions, an industry leader. As a Programmer Analyst, I have had the opportunity to learn the various technologies like Java and Data warehousing which provided ample exposure to programming and computing. I began to gain an extensive idea behind every operation and understood that any efforts of improvement should start at the steps or methods employed. To analyze a problem carefully and solve it efficiently in a calm, collected manner has been the most rewarding lesson at work. These qualities definitely give me confidence and help me face any kind of problem outside my current working environment. My stay at Cognizant has helped me mature professionally and mentally, giving me confidence that I have greatly progressed as an individual.

Looking away from academics, I see myself as an artist. I enjoy sketching and I continue to participate in competitions. Designing new generation automobiles is a fascination I pleasure myself with. My creative abilities have always helped me understand complex scenarios through visualization. I like to play football and have represented my school in the zonal volleyball tournaments. Being an avid reader, I like to keep myself updated on current happenings. This had often helped me participate in group discussions during my college days. A movie patron, I also enjoy writing movie reviews for my department magazine and at my firm.

Through my education and work experiences, I believe I have acquired some key qualities to face the rising challenges of the industry. Now, I am looking for a program that will help me grow as an engineer and open doors to a career in the Research and Development area. It has always been my strong desire and long standing dream to pursue my higher studies at the "birthplace of automobiles", Germany, which is home to many pioneers of engineering and often considered as the research capital of the world.

xxxxxxxxx offers the interdisciplinary master program, "Systems engineering and Engineering Management", providing an interesting opportunity to study electronics and management science in addition to advanced mechanical subjects. The cohesive knowledge of these fields will undoubtedly help in achieving greater quality and efficacy. Projects like "Development of a monitoring system for mechanical stresses of chain conveyor systems for secondary raw materials" gives an insight/glimpse into the promising opportunities offered by this program. I strongly believe that the convincing research background, the available high quality research facilities and highly qualified faculties will definitely help me widen the horizons of my knowledge and attain a milestone in my career. In accordance with this, I wish to pursue the master program "Systems Engineering and Engineering Management" at your university.

I would say that the knowledge I have gained is little and there is much more to learn and relearn. I am a stern believer of perseverance and dedication, am waiting to contribute in many ways to the rich and encompassing knowledge bank of your esteemed university. Please consider my candidature for admission at your University.

Thanking you,

xxxxxx
Knowledge has for long, been an asset that man has craved for. But it comes to only those who have the thirst to seek it. Some call this passion. But I would call it some degree of curiosity. It is the same that has urged me to go in constant search for passion and made me think of pursuing a master's degree.

... I wish you skim this a bit more... They would want to know about you more. So, shorten this and quickly come to the point that you introduce yourself.

As a 10 year old, on seeing some tools lying in my uncle's house I was curious to repair my bicycle's brakes.

As a ten year old, I passionately tried my hands on repairing my bicycle brakes with the tools belonged to my uncle.

In my attempt to repair them, I slowly understood the intricate working mechanism of the cable, spring and levers. The repair was done, but my passion and drive was evoked.

With this activity I began to understand the intricate working mechanism of the cable, spring and levers. This was the advent of my strong passion for mechanics.
OP roshan_89 1 / 1 1  
dumi
thanks Dumi, your suggestions are exactly what I was looking for. If you do find any more improvisations to be made, please let me know. I highly appreciate your help.
Understanding that machines play a vital role in the sustenance and development of the human society, I wanted to associate my life with machines.

I feel you should do away with this line because you have already said the same idea... This would otherwise sound a bit repetitive.

Eventually, to understand and design machines had become my dream and my life's goal

This one is fine.... re-phrase it a bit to be better connected with the previous sentence.
Well.... I think you better pay a little attention to the structure... First you talk about how your passion for mechanics developed. Then in the next para, tell them how you pursued your passion... Talk about your high school & university experiences, achievements, credentials etc. Then tell about what your future goals are and how the features of this uni can help you achieve them.

Home / Graduate / Some call knowledge passion; SOP-Systems engineering/German university