WHY NOT? ; MS Automobile Engineering/ SOP

arv9293 1 / -  
"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?' ". I was 16 when I first came across this awesome quote by the great G B Shaw. I can say that this was the figment that inculcated my liking towards engineering, considering it went hand in glove with my inquisitive attitude. So I pursued Mechanical engineering for my under graduation. But in early stages, my performance levels never satisfied me and I often felt that I didn't do justice to my acuity. But everything changed in 5th semester in which my curriculum revolved predominantly around automobiles. I finally felt something that really amused me. Even as the days whizzed away, my enthusiasm towards automobiles never waned and I could never get enough of the subject. This was my pole star that made me realize my true calling, Automobile engineering.

Ever since my school days I was an avid learner and an achiever. My excellence carried me to Velammal Matriculation higher secondary school, one of the best schools in my state. It gave me a very good exposure by allowing me to compete against the best. Not only did I love the competition, I thrived on it. Apart from giving me such a competitive environment, it also satiated my avarice for knowledge. I excelled in academics, achieving very good marks in the state exam. I secured a top 2% finish amongst the six hundred thousand students. It was a great feat and opened the doors to high profile universities all over my country.

My higher secondary marks enabled me to get admitted at SASTRA University, one of the top ranked universities in my country. Choosing Mechanical engineering as my undergraduate program, I endured a slow start. But my grades augmented as subjects like Internal Combustion engines, Theory of machinery, Design of power transmission elements, Heat transfer invigorated my penchant towards curriculum, as I found these subjects alluring. It reflected directly on my grades which have enhanced drastically considering my performance in the genesis of my course.

Stepping away from academics, I have always been an active participant in extra-curricular activities right from my inchoate phase. I won accolades in debates, dramatics and other such events. I have also showcased my leadership abilities by being one of the chief organizers in many events that took place throughout my under graduation. Also, my professors, teachers and fellow students have acknowledged that I have a very commendable and good communication skill which will come in handy given that I am trying to do my graduate programme outside my country.

I underwent internships during my semester breaks. It gave me first-hand experience about the prevalent industrial practices. The first one was one at M/S TITAN INDUSTRIES Private Ltd, one of the TATA conglomerates. They are the leading watch manufacturers in my country. The company assigned me to observe and get to know about the manufacturing processes and techniques involved in gears used in the watches. I grasped gear manufacturing processes like milling, broaching, shaping and others. The training was a fruitful experience, considering all the above processes yielded gears of few microns thick and required a high order of precision with very low rejection rate. I relished this opportunity as it had changed my general conception regarding machines. Mechanisms and workings that seemed abstruse were actually plain and simple. This encouraged me do more internship.

After that, I underwent a year's training at SHANMUGA PRECISION FORGING, in arrangement with my university along with my curriculum. The training gave me an insight about forging, casting, pickling and other such processes. Apart from enlightening me with manufacturing processes and terms like production planning, material review report, scheduling, cycle time, forecasting predictions; it was a stint that made me comfortable with CNCs, VMCs and Jigs & fixtures. This experience demonstrated me that there is always room for improvement and the production can always be more efficient.

Finally, I craved to do an internship relevant to my area of interest, considering the fact that my previous endeavors were at manufacturing companies. I got that chance at Chennai Port trust. It was one of the most interesting and a jaw dropping experience that I have encountered. It consisted of almost all type of machines right from machines as cinch as a screw driver to as perplexed as a hoist crane that lifts containers weighing tonnes. But the sections that really grabbed my attention were the ones which showed the workings and schematics of locomotives, trucks and engines used in ships. It was an eye opening experience which showed me how humongous the automobile field was. It inspired me to further plunge into the vortex that is automobiles.

As I probed deeper into the subject, I had a grand epiphany that I was at the crossroads where my next step is nothing but getting into a graduate program, a MS in AUTOMOTIVE Engineering. And what is a better place to do it than doing it in Germany, the land of opportunities.

I have a goal: treading towards an automobile field which solely runs on pure, pollution free energy which will not only take humanity to next level but also avoid the catastrophic events that looms over our head. And I have absolute certitude that no other place suits me more than (), where I can equip myself to overcome all the challenges that lay on my destined path. Knowing that it's more of a marathon than a burst of sprint, I shall strive hard and channel all my unbridled efforts to realize my goal.

The knowledge acquired in schools and colleges, I believe is not an education, but the means to it. It is this belief that makes me a student to my grave and will always inspire me to learn from everything. My belief will always direct me towards curiosity resulting in Exploration that will always aid human life.
IanRios1a 1 / 3  
First sentence: Get rid of the semicolon.
Second sentence: Consider changing the "I can say" part to something less confusing.

I am very confused whether or not it's just one giant paragraph. It looks very nice though
So I pursued Mechanical engineering for my under graduation.first degree.

But in early stages, my performance levels never satisfied me and I often felt that I didn't do justice to my acuity.

... hmmmmm.... I like if you say that a bit differently;
But in early stages, my performance levels never satisfied me and I often felt that I was not making use of my actual potential.

But everything changed in 5th semester in which my curriculum revolved predominantly around automobiles.

However, everything began to change in the fifth semester in which the curriculum covered predominantly automobile subjects.
star101 1 / 3  
I won accolades in debates, dramatics and other such events. I have also showcased my leadership abilities by being one of the chief organizers in many events that took place throughout my under graduation.

You could try and be more specific here I feel. Try & explain how you you proved to be a better leader or organizer.

Home / Graduate / WHY NOT? ; MS Automobile Engineering/ SOP