'Architecture and urbanism' - Letter of Intent: Graduate School

A_L927 1 / 1  
Hi I'm planning to apply for graduate program in Architecture. I need some help or advice on my letter to make in more coherence . Proof reading my letter would also be greatly appreciated because grammar is not my best skill.

Architecture is collaboration of both creative thinking and building sciences. Since at a young age, I have been fascinated with house renovation and how things are built. I would watch home renovation shows and learn to do "do it yourself" projects. Gradually, I was allured toward architecture because it allows me to explore the different aspects of constructing and designing. My undergraduate studies taught me the fundamentals of architecture and skills to pursue an architectural career. Moving forward, I will continue to broaden my knowledge and refine my designing skills. With the aid of the Dual Master Program in Architecture and Urban Planning at University of Illinois in Urbana Champaign, I hope to explore urbanism further through spatial development.

Architecture and urbanism are interrelated to each other. By examining architecture and urbanism as a whole, we can create a better urban fabric. Growing up in Chicago's Chinatown, the local park was a favorite gathering place for the community. Kids would be running around the park, while the elderly played Chinese chess on the stone benches. Curious to what makes a space enticing to people, I begin to examine public spaces. A well designed public space can have a positive effect on the well-being of the community. By creating opportunities for people to interact, a community can flourish. Therefore, I would like to address issues of preservation and public welfare as a focus of my graduate studies. Through architectural and urban planning courses, I can better analyze the urban fabric and refine my approach toward building a better tomorrow.

Landscape development is another field that I like to explore during my graduate studies. Landscaping adds another level to the urban fabric. Instead of building vertically, landscaping introduces a horizontal approach. I remembered my first design project was an inter-space that connects the university campus to the public transit station. I created undulation in the existing green space to bring function and aesthetic to the space. The undulating landscapes ran along the inter-space to create an enticing sitting place for the students while creating a screen between the two spaces. My examination taught me about the importance of scale and proportion in achieving a harmonious design. I like to explore landscaping through Landscape Architecture course works and apply it in studio projects. This will allow me to develop a more comprehensive problem-solving skill.

During my third year, I was introduced to sustainability and the role, we as designer play in this matter. Learning about sustainable techniques and alternative materials in my building science course, I saw the benefits that "green" design offer in preserving the environment. Everyone should play an active role in preserving our environment. As designers, we have a responsibility to help reduce our carbon footprints by designing smarter. Therefore, I hope to learn more about sustainable principles and techniques in my graduate studies at University ABCD. Looking at previous semesters elective courses, I am interest in taking the course on Green Design Strategies Using Computer Simulation. I am a visual learner; the aid of technology can help me better assess the effect of different sustainable techniques on a design.

My goal is to practice architecture professionally to create a better environment for us to live and work. By earning a dual master degree in Architecture and Urban Planning, I will be one step closer in achieving my goal. University ABCD provides me the cutting-edge technology and resources to examine urbanism and sustainable design more in-depth. The interdisciplinary program offer by the university will aid me in examining urbanism from both a macro and micro scale. I am constantly improving myself and refining my design skills. Recently, my friends and I submitted a design for an AIAS competition, where we received an honorable mention for our proactive design for Crisis -Ready Stadium.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

This is a pretty standard SOP. The majority of applicants will write a SOP pretty similar. The only aspect that you should add is to talk about the resources that you intend to use at the University. Also, if your grades are not amazing, I suggest that you spice this SOP up since it is pretty bland. -AAO

Hope this helps
OP A_L927 1 / 1  
How can I spice up my SOP even more.
I have average student with average grade.
I added personal experience to the letter to show how/ why I m interested in this field.

How does my letter flow smoothly, when you read it
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Well you talk about your one role as a landscape designer, if you have worked on other related projects talk about those here. Talk about competitions, classes, and resources you wish to engage in at the University.

Home / Graduate / 'Architecture and urbanism' - Letter of Intent: Graduate School