'to apply the science of economics to specific issues' SOP PhD ECONOMICS

kemi 1 / -  
Hello, could you please help review my SOP....thanks a lot
______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________ __
Economics is a process that employs decision making to utilizes various resources available to a society to improve its standard of living. Many countries in the world today have effectively and efficiently used this process in their development process, but Nigeria, a country rich in resources, both natural and human, has failed to utilize its resources to improve its living standards.

My interest in economics began in my final year of secondary school; I had a teacher who taught both the science and art of economics by bringing to our knowledge the rules and principles of economics and also allowing for self-expression by challenging us to apply the science of economics to specific issues afflicting Nigeria through investigation and analysis. I became intrigued with the art of economics (investigation and analysis) and decided to pursue an undergraduate study in economics; on how this art could be used in addressing the development needs of my country. During my Master's program, I prepared myself by obtaining a rigorous training in econometrics and mathematics so as to improve my economic analysis.

Development economics is an area that I would like to further explore, because of my experience from a country plagued by poverty despite its abundant resources. I am fascinated by the inequality existing between developed and developing nations; how countries that are sometimes similar in almost every facet grow at different rates, with some rising above pervasive poverty and others failing to do so. I believe that successful blueprints used for one country should not be applied blindly to another, but differentiated solutions suited to each country should be searched for, due to each country's uniqueness.

During the course of this program, I aim to equip myself with the advanced analytic and research skills required to become the economist that I envisage to be. I desire to increase my knowledge of econometrics and mathematical economics to be able to confront economic theories with empirical verification. I desire to become an academic that would have built well tested economic models specific to my country. Although I lack relevant work experience, I believe I make up for that with the simple rules I live by: pursue excellence; commitment; impacting lives positively as this is the ultimate creation of true wealth.

My interest to study at this University is due to its emphasis on mathematical and analytic thoroughness necessary for academic research. As can be evidenced from my transcript, I have a well-developed econometric and mathematical foundation that I want to build on. I believe that with the help of distinguished faculty, and some of the best students from all over the world, I would be challenged constantly to be the best I can at all times.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
When you are writing an SOP, you should begin my trying to intrigue the reader. I don't feel the first paragraph fits with the essay. When you begin to discuss your interests in economics starting in secondary school, this is a good start to your essay rather than starting the essay with a definition of economics. Here are some suggested changes for your essay:

-Form a new paragraph that discusses your master's program. That sentence should be changed to: ..."obtaining rigorous training in econometrics..." How did you obtain this rigorous training? Did you have an internship? Was it hands on experience? I would change the beginning of the next sentence to: "Due to this training, development economics is an area that I would like to further explore..." Also revise part of this sentence to read:

"...nations and how some countries are sometimes similar in almost every facet of growth, with some rising above pervasive poverty and others failing to do so."

-There is a sentence in the next paragraph that is confusing. I'm unsure what you are trying to state. Here is a suggestion:
"I desire to excel academically and build well tested economic models specific to my country". Also change part of this sentence to: "...pursue excellence, commitment, and impact lives positively, as this is the ultimate creation of true wealth."

-University should be lowercase. Also revise the end of the first sentence to read, "...thoroughness, which is necessary for academic research"

-If you do a Google search, type in "SOP writing" and click on Princeton Review from the listings. It gives some excellent but simple information regarding how you can write your SOP. You can check to see if you are on the right track. Also, have you done anything significant during your master's program that would make you stand out in your field of study? I would include this in the SOP if you have already made a contribution to your field.

Home / Graduate / 'to apply the science of economics to specific issues' SOP PhD ECONOMICS