Application to comparative politics and markets, 2nd choice political theory..

Darja8 1 / 1  
hello :)

I'm new to this forum, but the way that you guys help each other is great! I will first post my terrible application letter, which I don't really know what to think of and then try to give others some help :)

Any comment or criticism would be much appreciated :)
Thank you!!!!!!

Darja

The multitude of reasons that have brought me to aspire to continue my education at * are both external and personal in origin but aimed at one principal goal; learning as much as possible about politics and economics in a challenging and inspiring setting. I am a very passionate, ambitious and engaged 22 year old. I am determined to broaden my horizons through methodological training focused on comparative politics and markets, as I strongly believe in the value of studying such discipline to pursue a career in international affairs. Nevertheless, my second choice of studies within the political theory department is an equally felt choice. I have always been an outstanding student of humanistic subjects and a course which helps me develop my knowledge of political theory could lead me to a less expected, although equivalently stimulating career path.

My interest in politics and economy has been strongly influenced by my being born in a small town in Poland in 1989. Terms such as 'communism', 'socialism' and 'Soviet bloc' are still central to the discourses of the locals, who have been deeply affected by the waves of wars and occupations, not only in economic terms but also on levels of social order and of national identity. The condition of the country is constantly, often involuntarily, placed in a comparative perspective. The complex entanglements of several political disputes, memories of life prior to the world wars, the systems during the occupations, the influence of Gorbachev, Solidarnosc were all great conscious and subconscious influences during my upbringing. I have first-hand experience of the way that everyday life can be shaped by politics, as for example during the final food shortages and hours-long queuing for imported goods that were integral to the communist regime. Moving to Italy at a young age, I attended a British international institution where almost every individual came from a different country. From that time, having friends from the Middle East, Asia and Africa became completely natural. We frequently discussed our cultures, customs and religions, although it is only now that I am older that I fully appreciate the unique, fascinating and invaluably enriching situation that I was in. At the age of 15 I moved to a regular Italian school, which further intricated my outlook on the world because of its cultural restrictiveness. I finally became conscious of how racism, 'otherness' and religion are enormous problems within societies. At the same time, I had the opportunity to build a very strong classical knowledge, which gave me the tools to analyse the world in a reflective and historical manner, as well as to acquire four languages, including French. I studied Latin, philosophy and literature in a rigorous system based on constant oral examination. These experiences have led me to want to develop my understanding of politics under an analytical perspective, particularly though modules such as Capitalism and Democracy, Government and Politics in Eastern Europe and Anthropology of Politics.

My undergraduate studies have illuminated my understanding of contemporary post Cold War issues, leading me to conclude my studies with a dissertation on the relation between the different capitalist economies and sustainable development policies. Simultaneously I have developed a keen interest in Middle Eastern politics, a region that encompasses many of the issues that make-up the contemporary global climate. In relation to this, my prolonged reading of the regions history, the Arab-Israeli conflict and formations of states since the Ottoman Empire up to the recent events of the Arab Spring have not only given me a sufficient insight into the area, but have also developed a ready interest in analyzing the significant Islamic presence that has affected Britain. As I understand from the outline of the course, a case insight on the Islamic Republic of Iran is incorporated. As a result of the strong Iranian presence among the staff in ***, I have frequently been stimulated by debates on the system of the country since the program of Rheza Shah, to the rise of Ayatollah Khomeini up to today's Islamic Republic, which makes me immensely interested in engaging with the module. Additionally, my studies of Sociology have been an important part to the way that I perceive political systems, allowing me a micro level insight into issues such as gender relations, constructivist concepts of structure-agency, and poststructuralist approaches to biopower and governmentality.

I have a very deep felt interest in completing my studies in the social sciences and international relations with a comparative course on politics and markets. During my studies I have always felt that I was lacking a strong base of economic knowledge, which I believe to be fundamental to comprehending today's world fully, thus I have independently researched and read several texts focused on economic systems gaining an deep understanding of the Hayek and Keynes texts. Moreover, I cannot imagine a more interesting historical moment to study such field. In the last few years the financial crisis has overturned standard economic wisdom, banks have been bailed out and nationalised overturning dominant neo liberal ideology in the process while democratically elected leaders in countries such as Italy and Greece have been replaced by technocrats in the still unresolved Euro Crisis. I have followed all these incredible events closely trying like everyone to attempt to make sense of it and thinking things through in terms of future developments. Additionally, I am a faithful daily reader of the Financial Times and Sole 24 Ore, which have thought me to explore each issue from an economic perspective.

With regards to undertaking this course in *, I am already familiar with the facilities, as I am a regular user of the library and have attended talks on several occasions. Among those discussions, I have especially enjoyed the broad series of talks on current affairs experienced by the Middle East, that have explored the topic from multiple perspectives, including topics such as intervention, economics, democracy, migration and media. Amongst the talks that I have witnessed, I have been strongly inspired by Prof.Zaki Laidi's lecture on the effects of the Arab Spring on Europe. I strongly believe in the value of debate that deconstructs or finds innovative ground on a topic through open discussion. In the past three years I have mixed and debated with a variety of different people and outlooks as for example through attending and contributing to meetings of the Socialist Party in the UK, taking part in UK Uncut movement, LSX Occupy, 3 Billion Ways conferences and university's Political Debating Society. This political activity has given me further opportunities to debate and test my ideas out with others.

I envisage benefitting enormously from continuing my education at *. I am a very hard-working student, currently determined to follow an international career. I have a genuine interest in almost all aspects of world politics - an interest that I live and breathe in every moment of my daily life. In the long term, I hope to work in sectors such as international policy, diplomacy, think tanks, EU institutions or governmental bodies, and I believe this course will help me to attain the skills and knowledge to pursue these career interests. I believe I have the educational background, skills and personal motivation to succeed at postgraduate level, and I would be grateful if I would be able to take my application with you further.

I know it's long but that's the length they want...
chalumeau /  
It's a good first attempt. I corrected and condensed the first two paragraphs for you. You have a good command of English and think you will do well in school. I feel you should put more of your views in the essay. You sound removed or detached--especially when you describe political situations that are common knowledge. What do you think about the Arab Spring? Do you agree with Prof Laidi? Why? It is a most exciting time to study politics as new governments will be forming. Write a paragraph about your dissertation or research projects. Include your findings. Mentors? People you admire?

I'll happily edit another draft.

OP Darja8 1 / 1  
Oh wow, Chalumeau you have truly helped me out and gave me a lot of ideas :)
Thank you!!! I will get right back to writing

Home / Graduate / Application to comparative politics and markets, 2nd choice political theory..