Television- A Boon or a Bane?

silkesha 4 / 24  
---------------------------------------------------------

Teacher, Mother, Secret lover! What else can it be, than our very own Television?

Over the years, the popularity of television has grown to such an extent that today, at least one Television set can be found in almost every home in the world. Its the menace that everyone loves to hate but can't seem to live without.

Nowadays, there are hundreds of television channels. For those who are ill or housebound, television provides them with a company while they are alone, whereas others just enjoy the entertainment factor. Entertainment in the home can be very challenging for the most loving families; therefore television can be a good thing as it can provide parents with a "babysitter"! For those older folk who can no longer cope with going out for shopping, TV is the answer! Not to forget the teens who simply can't seem to have enough of Hannah Montana or the lovely middle-aged ladies who love watching their favorite series of either 'Desperate Housewives' or 'Sex and The City'! Though, actually going to a concert has a better atmosphere than just watching it on television, some people praise this as it is much cheaper than buying a ticket to go to the venue itself. TV has brought the education at viewers' door-steps. It has encouraged formal and open education in a big way.

Well, those were just the 'WOW' factors of Television. However, its not all good! For instance, while I was in middle-school, I had this unforgettable poem on a couple who was highly addicted to TV. They watched Television for days and nights together; never did they make a single movement! It seemed as if Television was the one and only sole reason for them to stay alive. Suddenly, after a few days, the electricity went off making the screen go blank. Its just at that point of time that they looked at each other for the first time ever and exchanged some warm 'Hello's and 'How do you do's. However, just minutes later, the screen was back in motion and so was the couple back again glued to their precious TV set. Hence, they were never ever able to figure out what they were for each other as their so-called precious TV set never let them exchange any 'Who are you's!

Maybe, this example sounds a bit too graphical, but, it is true indeed! Therefore, someone had rightly said, "When Television is good, nothing is better, but remember, when it is bad, nothing is worse!" It is, indeed, an anesthetic pain of the modern world. It has been successful in destroying the peace and harmony in many homes. Also, its influence on children has been very bad. It has made a child from an irresistible force to an immovable object. Not to forget, how it takes away the privacy out of the lives of some. The sex, violence, rapes, murders, cheap dances and obscene scenes shown in TV series and films simply pollute the minds of the youth. These are just a few evils because of which the TV has gained a new nick- 'The Idiot Box'!

Thus, Television is a mixed blessing. All Television is educational Television. The question is: what is it teaching? It was certainly not intended to make humans vacuous, but, it is an emanation of their vacuity. The advantages and disadvantages of TV viewing are there. It is need of the hour that only good, healthy, educative, and moral programs are telecast on TV. After all, Entertainment is a must, but, it should be with a purpose!

---------------------------------------------------

Besides providing a feedback for the essay, I would love to receive some help on the following too:

Its probably the social networking sites because of which I have lost a bit of my ability to write continuous statements while writing an essay(without using those "..." which I usually have to use for expressing myself). Also, the language that I use these days, sounds so laid-back which is a sure no-no for essays and stuff...I mean, using formal statements and all has become a li'll difficult for me these days(though, I am trying hard, that it doesn't show in my essays, while I write). Thanks to the spell-check that helped me in avoiding the short-forms! I am a Science student and haven't written any essays since the past 2 years. I am doing it now, as I have to appear for my SAT and TOEFL tests...and also write a couple of admissions essays. Any suggestions or tips on how I could re-gain that ability back again or simply improve my language skills?
Zeinab1383 5 / 43  
but can't seem to live without.

but seems can't live without it.

Entertainment in the home can be very challenging for the most loving families

I think "at home", but I am not sure

but, it is true indeed!

but it is true
arunk1402 2 / 3  
Let's imagine : if one day , one person spends a hour watching TV without gaining any useful information , then in one year he will waste 365 hours and in 10 year is 3605 hours. With that time , you can learn several language as well as finish some studying course. On the other hand , television programme are not always suitable for all ages.Sometimes , there are some movies containing violence which affected the stormy phase of growing of children and teenagers and should not be watched ,even by some adults. It will be extremely dangerous if parents neglect their children to discover the TV programme themselves as they will immediately take influence of what they see . To rectify this situation , parents must supervise their children 's TV watching throughout their childhood and adolescence period. In the aspect of health , spending hours watching TV is harmful to your eyesight . Why don't play some sport and breathe the fresh air .When your eyes are tired , you 'd better let them rest than continue to paste them in the screen.

Sorry for my Grammer
OP silkesha 4 / 24  
---I think I need to correct this statement...

Maybe, this example sounds a bit too graphical, but, it is true indeed!

Maybe, this example sounds a bit too graphical, but, is true indeed!
(I am still concerned with the commas.)

and yes, thanks Zainab !..I would consider your points. Thanks for reading! :D

---In the following,

Well, those were just the 'WOW' factors of Television.

Is it ok if I capitalize all the letters in the word 'Wow' or do I need to make changes?

---Also, I am not quite sure for the following:
Its just at that point of time that they looked at each other for the first time ever and exchanged some warm 'Hello's and 'How do you do's . However, just minutes later, the screen was back in motion and so was the couple back again glued to their precious TV set. Hence, they were never ever able to figure out what they were for each other as their so-called precious TV set never let them exchange any 'Who are you's !

Hey, Arun , thanks a lot for those points! I think, I missed onto those points! Thanks, once again, for your kind help! :D
What else can it be, than our very own Television?

Ha ha, I love the intro! I would simplify, though>
What else can it be other than our very own television?
Don't capitalize television.

I see that you capitalize television, and at the end you capitalize entertainment. Don't capitalize those! :-)

The question is: what is it teaching? ---- good point!!

At the end of this very cool essay, you make a point about purpose. I want to see you introduce that point at the end of the intro paragraph (so add a sentence to the end of that intro para). If you introduce that point -- about being purposeful -- at the start, this will be a very memorable essay!! :-)
OP silkesha 4 / 24  
Thank you very much...Kevin!
I'd surely follow your advice! :D
Thanks!

Home / Writing Feedback / Television- A Boon or a Bane?