The State of Education in America

iluvthevalley 1 / 1  
This is a English 101 essay. The assignment was to discuss education and include 9 quotes from the assigned readings. In class editing proved pointless as I received little constructive feedback. I would appreciate any comments or criticism. Thanks in advance!

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country." Kurt Vonnegut does an excellent job of expressing my feelings about the inadequacy of America's current educational system. As I filed out of my high school graduation along with my classmates, I felt a sense of fear and uncertainty in place of the hope of the "bright future" discussed in our commencement speeches. Our education had not prepared us to make positive contributions or amendments to American society or culture. The American educational system manufactures apathetic adults conditioned to negatively impact the course of evolution.

The American educational system produces robots who are under complete control, making it extremely difficult for anyone to make any palpable change. From a young age we are told by authority figures that there is great value in sitting quietly and obeying orders. Gatto discusses the American approach to education and it's not so hidden agenda," It is in the interest of complex management, economic or political, to dumb people down, to demoralize them, to divide them from one another, and discard them if they don't conform.".(157) This method makes perfect sense, in a sick and twisted way. Our educational system is ideal from a production standpoint, and it will produce many efficient workers. The error in this approach to education is the fact that it fails all who do not fit the mold, rejecting innovative ideas because they would throw a wrench in the system. Moore examines the confining atmosphere in American schools, "the kids learn to submerge any personal expression. They learn that it's better to go along so that you get along. They learn that to rock the boat could get them rocked right out of school. Don't question authority. Do as you're told. Don't think, just do as I say.".(147) He reinforces the suggestion that originality is repressed in American schools today. High School has long been a microcosm of conformity, but with the way education is being "managed", American society will soon take on it's terrifying atmosphere. It is because of the current American educational system that citizens are under such complete control. Anyon gives further evidence of the control issues in school, " The four fifth-grade teachers observed in the working-class schools attempted to control classroom time and space by making decisions without consulting the children and without explaining the basis for their decisions.".(179) The children learn to accept orders from authority figures unwaveringly. We are taught as children not to question authority and this lesson carries through to adulthood, making it possible for the government to exercise complete control.

The most disturbing aspect of American culture, it that the majority of people, do not seem to be at all concerned that they are being manipulated. Our schools are breeding grounds for apathy, creating a future of dangerously indifferent adults. Gatto discusses the brainwashing that goes on in schools today, "we don't bat an eye when Ari Fleischer tells us to "be careful what you say", even if we remember having been told somewhere back in school that America is the land of the free. We simply buy that one too." (159) This is an example of our cultures indifference to political happenings and how this indifference has been instilled in us throughout our education. The teachers have been through the same crushing education system and therefore have many of the same afflictions as their students and the majority of Americans. Gatto illustrates the apathy that students exhibit in learning environments, "They said teachers didn't seem to know much about their subjects and clearly weren't interested in learning more. And the kids were right: their teachers were every bit as bored as they were.". (152) The students pick up on the teachers disinterest in the subject matter, and they are negatively influenced by it. It is difficult to be intrigued by a subject that is presented to you in an uninspiring manner. The American education system encourages the cycle of apathy that will prevent awareness and accordingly, progress.

Once the education system has produced a clone without opinions or the ability to voice them, all hopes of advancement have been removed. Because the system promotes ignorance and conformity, people can not recognize a reason to protest social or political happenings no matter how extreme. Kozols observation of an American school depicts that of a totalitarian society, " Among the missions of the school, according to the printed statement, which was posted also in some other classrooms of the school, was "to develop productive citizens" who have the skills that will be needed "for successful global competition".(249) The goal of American education, it seems, is to train the most productive and powerful legion of subservients. Without anyone to take a stand or present new ideas, there can be no progress. Throughout history there has been opposition to every major revolution. Students who are told not to question authority become adults who do not question authority. Moore discusses the difficulties facing a nonconformist, "They learn how to regurgitate answers the state wants them to give, and any attempt to be an individual is now grounds for being suspected to be a member of the trench coat mafia".(147) This sheds some light on why so many people find it easier to fall in line than to protest. However, It is difficult to evolve without questioning authority. To make a change one has to stay informed, and because our education system certainly does not keep us informed, we must rely on outside sources. According to Moore though, we can not even manage to do that, "only 11 percent of the American public bothers to read a daily newspaper,".(133) The American education system does not inform us about much of anything that does not fall into the range of subjects covered on standardized tests, yet we fail to make an effort to inform ourselves and evolve as a society.

Horace Mann stated that "nothing but universal education can counterwork this tendency to the domination of capital and servility of labor.".(124) Nothing could be further removed from his ideology than the American education system. We are manufactured to be unquestioning laborers. The current education system does not allow for evolution, instead it is repressive and damaging. I do believe there can be a change if we are able to break free of the system that we have followed our entire lives. There is certainly a stimulus, now there must be action. Nothing would make me happier than to see my high school graduation speech realized. The "Bright Future" will certainly take time, but education is constant.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Your essay is well-written, albeit a little depressing! You make some valid points. Here are some editing suggestions:

Gatto discusses the American approach to education and its not so hidden agenda:

American society will soon take on its terrifying atmosphere.

The most disturbing aspect of American culture is that the majority of people do not seem to be at all concerned that they are being manipulated.

You use a comma before most of your quotations, when you should use a period: Gatto illustrates the apathy that students exhibit in learning environments. "They said ...

This is an example of our culture's indifference to political happenings

The students pick up on the teachers' disinterest in the subject matter,

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Essays / The State of Education in America