Martin Luther King Jr.'s Letter From Birmingham Jail - need help interpreting prompt!

AnnieC 1 / 5  
So my essay prompt is:

This letter has the ring of the oratory for which King was widely known and justly praised. Read passages aloud and note the ways that King appeals to his reader's ear (for example, with the balanced clauses of many of his sentences). How do the cadences of the King's prose help to make his point? Compare King's letter to the famous "I Have a Dream" speech he made in the same year. Although one is composed as a letter and the other was delivered as a stirring public address, what elements of language do they share?

I'm having trouble understanding the first question, regarding the 'cadences'. Doesn't cadence mean 'the rise and fall in pitch of the voice'? How does that apply to a written letter? I'm confused.

Also, what 'elements of language' is being referred to in the second question? Am I to refer to the rhetoric techniques used? That is, ethos, logos, and pathos.

Any help/guidance is much appreciated!

Thank you. x
alittlehelp 1 / 3  
The only advise I can give is 1) "I'm having trouble understanding the first question"- read the letter and look for more intense parts. Although, it is a letter, imagine if it was spoken out loud, which parts do you think would be loud, which parts are soft spoken. This may help you understand 'the rise and fall in pitch of the voice'.

2)I don't have both pieces of work in front of me, however, look for peaceful protesting vs. violence, in his writing. MLK was big on non-violence in his way of protesting.

That's all I got! Hope it helps.
Doesn't cadence mean 'the rise and fall in pitch of the voice'? How does that apply to a written letter? I'm confused.

This is such a great question!! I think I found an answer for you.
Google this: cadence in writing

Also, check this out carefully.

'elements of language'

Elements of language... google this: figures of speech, list

Also, I found some good info by googling this: elements of language
Really, the teacher seems to be being unclear unless "elements of language" were studied in class.
But anyway, just do your best. You have to read the speech 3 times, and then look at the letter. :-) You will see common strategies in the use of language: rhythm, alliteration, repetition... etc.

I do not know if logos, ethos, and pathos are what the teacher is refering to. They are the elements of classical rhetoric, but I don't know if that is what she is referring to.

:-)
OP AnnieC 1 / 5  
Thank you for all the replies! (:

EF_Kevin, I guess you're right about not referring to ethos, logos, and pathos .. Dang, now I've got to scrap my essay. I'd come up with an outline where the thesis revolved around those three elements, and then delved into the techniques used - alliteration, repetition, etc. Seemed to be an easier way to approach the elements of language used as they seem to be used all over the text to emphasize different points. (repetition, for eg.)

Aw daangg.. but thank you for replying nevertheless! (: Tremendous help. x
OP AnnieC 1 / 5  
Struggling to encompass all the techniques used in the thesis .. I can't exactly list -all- the techniques used in the thesis, now can I. That would just be too long. Hmm.. I'm still unsure as to what 'elements of language' really means.
I guess you're right about not referring to ethos, logos, and pathos .. Dang, now I've got to scrap my essay. I'd come up with an outline where the thesis revolved around those three elements, and then delved into the techniques used - alliteration, repetition, etc.

hey, wait a minute... I think the teacher may give you an A for a paper like the one you described. What are the "elements of language?" If the teacher did not say what she means by this term, you should be allowed to interpret it to mean logos, ethos, and pathos.

I think the approach you took sounds pretty good.

Anyway, my idea for you is like this: Never start by making an outline. Start by writing one awesome sentence.

:-)
OP AnnieC 1 / 5  
Conflicted.. :/

I wrote out an essay based on the rhetorical devices used. Did not encompass ethos, logos and pathos .. but I'm really not too happy with it. It doesn't seem too strong. More than anything I'd love to revert back to my original idea. And yes, you are right in saying she did not define 'elements of language' in any way. I'd love to go down that road but I'm afraid of the outcome. Argh..

And again, thank you for all your help. (:
It doesn't seem too strong.

If you think of a single sentence that is inspired, energized, you can infuse the essay with life. Its value depends on the significan ce of the main idea. If the main idea is a new idea and a meaningful one, the essay is meaningful.

About the teacher's ambiguity: Why not just ask her? That is what you are supposed to do... teachers are supposed to guide you.

Good luck!! I'm glad you collaborate here with us.
OP AnnieC 1 / 5  
Oh I emailed her days ago; she hasn't replied.

I'm going to work on what you said. Thanks!
OP AnnieC 1 / 5  
Got an A-. (:
harreola22 - / 1  
Allusion, Parallelism and or Repetition Rhetorical or General Questions

Hi. Thanks in advance.
I have to write a rhetorical analysis essay on "Letters From Birmingham Jail" by Martin Luther King Jr.
Any ideas for a Thesis?
Appeal to logic?
Appeal to Emotion?
Appeal to Authority?

An Organizational Strategy?
Refutation of Opposing Views?
Appropriate Use of Evidence?
Use of Simile or Metaphor?
Use of ...
Allusion
Parallelism and or Repetition
Rhetorical or General Questions

Any comnments, ideas, or suggestions would be great. Thanks so much...
nja2497 2 / 4  
Try to analyze his writing. Circle or underline any repeated words, anything with a strong connotation whether it is positive or negative, anything that stands out to you and label it. Also try to identify his audience and what he has done to address them. There are just two simple tips I have learned to get the ball rolling. Wish you the best of luck!

Home / Essays / Martin Luther King Jr.'s Letter From Birmingham Jail - need help interpreting prompt!