Individual essay - compare and contrast the entrepreneurial journey

coffeecertified 1 / 7  
Hello,
I have an essay due on the 7th:

. In 2000 words, compare and contrast the entrepreneurial journey made by two of the following enterprises:
- Carphone Warehouse
- Skype
- Groupon
- Yo! Sushi
- Hungryhouse

And I don't know how to start it as in I don't know how to organize my essay and what to put in it.

Could you help me please?
Many thanks
sakimminji1004 3 / 7  
Hey,

So I know nothing about entrepreneurship but I know that these are companies who started out small with a simple idea and grew up pretty big.

I would start out with research. It looks like Yo! Sushi and Hungryhouse are some sort of restaurant chains where as Groupon and Skype are electronic services and Carphone Warehouse has to do with used or new electronic devices (?). You could talk about how it started with one idea (i.e. people want faster service to quality food) and how these companies used that idea to make it a business. This sounds like a difficult essay to write but definitely start with research!

Best of luck!
Nel, one way to approach this comparison essay is to look into the background of the company owners. Look into their similarities and offer a comparison of their mindset that led them to the development and creation of their businesses. Consider the background of the related companies in the following manner:

1. Carphone warehouse and Groupon
2. Yo! Sushi and Hungry House

I am not very sure what you can compare Skype against because there is no internet bases telecommunications company in your list. Maybe consider Facebook Messenger of Google Talk? I'm sure you'll come up with something :-)

After you consider the background of the owners, look into the history of the company and how they managed to get funding for it. Look into their difficulties and successes. Compare their marketing styles and their business objectives. Those are some common points that you can align and compare with regards to these businesses.

In the end, maybe you compare their projected growth rates for the year or their company outlook in terms of investors or investor relations. Those should be interesting and informative enough to help you develop a solid compare and contrast essay for these companies.
OP coffeecertified 1 / 7  
Hello,
Than you for your replies!
I was just wondering how should I compare them?
I'd like to make like subtitles like 1) The Owners etc...
So how can i compare the owners and have a structured paragraph ?
Thanks for your help!
Nel, the firs tthing that you have to do is create an outline of discussion points for your essay. Since you know what topic you should be discussing in the research paper, you should be able to create the correct discussion outline for it. You can start with the following ( as a general template to follow):

1. Overview or objective of your research
2. Background of the owner (covering his personal life and education)
3. The idea behind his business
4. His success story
5. Future outlook for his business
6. Segue into the same discussion for his competitor in contrast or comparison to the first person.

Why don't you try to make your outline and then post it here so we can review your outline and give you some suggestions as to how to improve it. We can't really offer you any more concrete and usable advice until you are able to provide us with more concrete examples or a solid basis for your research. As of now, this is as far as we can go in terms of advising you about how to start your paper.
OP coffeecertified 1 / 7  
This is what I have for now:
Following the presentation of our project, we are now being asked to compare and contrast the entrepreneurial journey made by two different enterprise. The two companies that I am going to use for this individual essay are going to be Carphone Warehouse and Groupon.

1) Foundation.
Carphone Warehouse
The company was co-founded by Charles Dunstone and Julian Brownlie in 1987 when most portable phones were too bulky to carry and called car phones. To build their company, the co-founders both put six thousand pounds from their savings and asked one of their old friend to become the finance director of the enterprise.

Groupon
Groupon was created in 2008 by Andrew Mason, who is now the CEO. Eric Lefkofski then joined the group and provided the company with one million of dollars to develop the idea. In October 2010 Groupon was available in 150 cities in North America and 100 cities in Europe, Asia and South America, and had 35 million registered users.

2) Successes and difficulties
a) Successes
Carphone Warehouse
Carphone Warehouse is a very successful company.
Firstly, the company bought Opal Telecom in 2002, and in 2003 launched the TalkTalk brand.
Then, in May 2008 Best Buy agreed to buy a 50% share of The Carphone Warehouse retail business for £1.1 billion to launch the Best Buy Europe joint venture. Best Buy branded superstores opened in total 11 stores. The company closed all of its United Kingdom stores in January 2012, due to poor financial results. In April 2013, Carphone Warehouse agreed to buy out Best Buy.

In 2009, Carphone Warehouse became Britain's second largest broadband provider after BT.
In April 2008, the Carphone Warehouse decided to increase its joint venture with Best Buy by launching Best Buy Mobile as a "store inside a store" inside of Best Buy's or as a separate store located by Best Buy stores throughout the United States. In the same business venture Carphone Warehouse was split into four parts and one quarter sold to Best Buy for a sum nearing 1.1 billion.

On 19 June 2007, the Carphone Warehouse became the official sponsor of the fourth series of The X Factor.
The company were also the sponsors for the United Kingdom's version of Big Brother from 2004 to 2007. In 2006, they also sponsored Celebrity Big Brother and related Celebrity Big Brother shows on Channel 4.

And finally in April 2011, Carphone Warehouse sponsored the Appy Awards.

Groupon

Like his competitor, Groupon is a very successful and worldwide known company. It has achieved many projects.
Indeed, the company bought the Indian deal-of-the-day website SoSasta.com in January 2011 and re-branded it as "Crazeal by Groupon Inc." The Groupon acquisitions of uBuyiBuy launched services under the Groupon name in Hong Kong. In addition, Groupon acquired GroupsMore.com to expand its business in Malaysia.

Prior to these acquisitions, Groupon had bought out the mobile technology company Mob.ly.
In January 2012, the company acquired Mertado, a social shopping service based on the Facebook platform. In May 2012, Groupon acquired Breadcrumb, a point of sale system and iPad app that targets local restaurants.Based on the May acquisition, Groupon launched Breadcrumb PRO and Breadcrumb POS, expanding its target beyond restaurants to include all types of local businesses.

In September 2012, Groupon acquired restaurant reservation and discount site Savored for an undisclosed amount.
Groupon recorded record-breaking holiday weekend sales in North America during Black Friday representing the most successful four days ever in the company's six-year history, with sales up more than 25% year over year.

In October 2014, Groupon unveiled Snap, a new app specifically for giving customers cash back when they buy certain items at the grocery store.
In November 2014, Groupon acquired In-Store Analytics and Marketing Startup, Swarm Mobile, a startup that helps businesses connect with and track their customers while in stores

then i was think on doing this plan:

b) Difficulties

2) Marketing styles
3) Objectives

and then i'm a bit stucked for the rest ...
Nel, is that the outline that you presented to me? If it is, then you don't have the right idea behind an outline. Try to look up "How To Write a Basic Outline for a Comparative Essay" in Google. That should help get your format on the right track. By the way, are you writing this in MLA or APA format? I need to know which format you are using so that I can further assist you with the correct formatting of the paper.

When you finally discuss the content of the essya in the narrative form, don't forget to present the comparison at the end of every topic that you discuss. That is how a compare and contrast essay is actually written. The correct format would be:

1. Company 1
2. Company 2
3. Comparison of strong and weak points

Have you tried to ask your writing counselor or professor for some ideas as to how to proceed with the essay based upon what you have developed with regards to information so far? They should be in a better position to advice you regarding how to approach the other parts of the paper since they work for the university and know what the specific requirements of some professors are. They should also be able to help you better develop your argument within the sections of your paper. I can only help you edit and revise your essay as you complete the work.
Nel, I agree with Louisa, the key to writing an outline and in anything that you write in general, the best thing to do first is, research.

Research on how the essay should be written, what are the information that the essay should have and what are the right inputs you
have to include in the essay.
It will only take a little amount of your time to do a research and believe me, it's worth it.
The key to a successful essay comparison and contrast and in writing as a whole is when you
have a great deal of knowledge before you even start writing.

I believe you have to integrate a lot of details into your outline and not just outline, but a full length of facts as well.

When you have a new draft, post it here on EF so we can assist you further.
OP coffeecertified 1 / 7  
Hello,
I've decided to change the companies as I think I could say more about them. So im gonna choose hungry house and yo! sushi.

As you adviced me i've done some research but i'm still really unsure about what i'm doing. so as an outline i thought doing

1) Hungry House
2) Yo sushi
3) Comparison
4) Contrast

Many thanks for your help!
OP coffeecertified 1 / 7  
or do:
Hungry House
- How it started
- Way of delivering
- cost
-clients
Yo!Sushi:
- How it started
- Way of delivering
- cost
-clients
Comparison
Contrast

In the first on that I told you I would talk about hungry house, then Yo sushi and then compare and compare when in this one i choose specific points to compare and contrast?

What do you think?
Nel, you can never write a compare and contrast essay using general terms of your research. You definitely need to choose specific points of comparison to use for that part of your essay. If you don't create a criteria for the comparison and contrast, you will have a difficult time trying to write this paper. I apologize for not mentioning that earlier. I thought you already understood that you had to do it that way.

Remember to list down the commonalities that you can use for that part of the essay. You can use those for the comparison parts. When it comes to the contrasting part, make a new list that contains the differences of the companies. Write the paper in essay form using the outline you provided to me above. I think it will work well in terms of developing your paper.

Have you given any thought as to how you are going to conclude your paper? Have you thought of the central point of comparison and contrast that you plan on using for this paper? The central point will help you develop a proper conclusion for this essay so don't neglect to properly develop that point in the paper. That central comparison point should be different from the minor comparison and contrasting points that you will be using throughout the paper.
OP coffeecertified 1 / 7  
Hey thanks for your quick reply!
So is my second idea of outlines good? or is there still things to be changed?
No i have not think about the conclusion yet as i'm trying to concentrate on the main body first. and what do you mean by the central point of comparison and contrast?
Use the second outline version Nel. It really offers you a better chance at outlining your points of comparison and contrast, as well as creating the central point of comparison and contrast. I can already see the points at which you can create your minor compare and contrast points. These are:

- How it started
- Way of delivering
- cost
-clients

The central comparison and contrasting points should be the thesis of your essay. For example, you can say that you are trying to decide which of the two companies have the more efficient delivery system based upon specific criteria. Then mention that you will also consider some other points (minor comparison and contrast) points that can help you and the readers evaluate who has the better delivery system. That is just an example. I am sure you can come up with a better point of discussion since this is your assignment and you are more familiar with it.
OP coffeecertified 1 / 7  
Where is the thesis supposed to be? In the introduction?

Yo!sushi doesn't deliver food but it's a restaurant but i don't know how to formulate that outline? I'd like to say like the way people can consume their food if you see what i mean?
Yes. In the introduction. Listen, I can't go piece mill on advising you with this essay. You have to do the legwork. I can;t write it for you. Your consults are going to eventually become useless if you can't even get past the outline form. If you really want to get started properly on this essay then I suggest you do the following:

1. Develop your thesis statement. What is it in particular you want to discuss?
2. Develop the topics that will help you present information related to your thesis.
3. Outline your discussion using the 2nd outline form you presented in this thread.
4. Start a draft version of your essay.
5. Post it here for comments

The draft form will at least give me an idea as to whether you are properly developing the essay, what points are weak, what you can enhance, which parts can be further improved, etc. Just write the essay. Get started on it. I can't guide you if I can't see the direction you are headed in.Don't waste time. Your deadline will be here before you know it.

Home / Essays / Individual essay - compare and contrast the entrepreneurial journey