Any good topics for classification essay? similar to compare and contrast essay

crazypnai_008 1 / 1  
Hello, so im new here && I wanted to know how this site works because I wanted to get help on what good topics to write about on a classification essay. Is it similar to compare and contrast essay?.

thanks
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I'll move this thread out of Forum Help, because you have done what you need to do to get help: Ask a question.

A classification essay is not a compare and contrast essay. Many composition textbooks devote a chapter to classification (or "division and classification") essays, so check your textbook because your teacher will expect you to follow any specific suggestions given therein.

A classification essay is one way to approach a complex topic. In a classification essay, one groups two or more related phenomena or ideas together. So, if one were to write about the reasons for poor school performance among elementary school students, one would first list all of the reasons one could imagine or discover through research -- such as poor nutrition, inadequate sleep, inadequate teaching, learning disabilities, problems at home, etc. -- and then group those reasons into categories, such as social, psychological, and environmental.

In writing the essay, one would use the categories as the means of organizing the information presented in the essay. So, staying with our example of poor performance among elementary school students, one might begin with a story or statistic that engages the reader's attention; put forth the thesis that poor performance can stem from many causes, including social, psychological, and environmental factors; and then cover each type of cause in turn.

If you do write a classification essay, you are welcome to post your draft for feedback. If you would like help in choosing a topic, say so. But, be sure to do your part by pitching in to help other forum members with their writing.
Simone has already covered the nature of a classification essay so well that I can't really add much on that score. As to the question of how you go about finding topics, I'd suggest that you ask the Overmind. That is, google "classification essay topics".

Hint: the first site listed on my search is goodessaytopics.com/classification-essay-topics.html

Home / Essays / Any good topics for classification essay? similar to compare and contrast essay