Gender, Inclusivity & Ethnicity - Stereotyping

slgee4 1 / -  
What is stereotyping?
"...a fixed, over generalized belief about a particular group or class of people." (Cardwell, 1996.) Stereotyping is a way that people may use and or simplify the amount of processing or thinking you do when you meet a new person. There tends to be both positive and negative stereotypes in the world today. Positive examples including judges (with a very respectable set of characteristics), persons who may be overweight (seen as "jolly"), or even television reporters (seen as highly dependable and respectable). While negative examples of stereotypes are much more common and heard of. Some may include, racial stereotypes; Caucasian; industrious, progressive and ambitious. African Americans are sought out to be lazy, happy-go-lucky, ignorant and musical.

Why is stereotyping harmful?
Stereotyping is harmful because it makes us ignores differences between individuals; therefore we think things about people that may not be true.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Hi,
how can we help you about this piece of writing? is this an essay? article? or ... please clearly write the prompt here. If this is an essay you need to extend the body (that part you asked "why is stereotype harmful?"). Add some examples to make your discussion more apparent. Talk about your experiences and the stereotypes that you are dealing with everyday and why they are harmful. Talk about your own opinion and support your ideas with the findings of pundits, like socialists.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ahmad
Positive examples including judges (with a very respectable set of characteristics), persons who may be overweight (seen as "jolly"), or even television reporters (seen as highly dependable and respectable).

.... I dont get your idea here. As Ahmad expressed already, this confuses the reader to understand what you really need from us. Certain parts here does not follow the essay structure, so that it is difficult to comment. Better provide us with some detailed description about this writing

Stereotyping is harmful because it makes us ignores differences between individuals

Stereotype is harmful when people ignore differences between individuals.

Home / Essays / Gender, Inclusivity & Ethnicity - Stereotyping