Home / Dissertations   % width NEW!

How to Choose the Members of Your Doctoral Committee?

EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
The members of the doctoral committee are an integral part in pursuing and achieving the doctorate degree in any field of study. Because the individuals comprising the committee are those with whom you will be expected to work for an extended period of time, it is important that when considering potential committee members, several factors are taken into account. The formation of a doctoral committee will be a time-intensive process and committee members are expected to view this opportunity, just as you do, as a long-term commitment. Therefore, selection of committee members is key in creating a group of individuals who can successfully collaborate and interact over the period of several years.

Every school has different requirements set forth regarding the appointment of professors to the doctoral committee. It is important that you be familiar with these guidelines to ensure that when considering potential candidates, their qualifications enable them to serve on the committee. Many times, committee requirements also dictate that a faculty member from an outside department be appointed to the committee as well. There is often an abundance of information available to you through the administrative offices of your graduate school, from staff members to the publications that the school has created to address the doctoral program in your field of study. This is the primary place that will provide you all the vital information you need to begin working toward your doctorate.

It is often suggested that doctoral students first appoint their committee chair prior to selecting the remainder of the committee. By proceeding in this manner, the chair can assist you in identifying and choosing other members who will best serve your dissertational needs and who are best matched to your style of working, researching, etc. Again though, even the appointment of a committee chair will be an intense process in which you must determine this individual's appropriateness to your cause.

So, what are some of the items to take into consideration when interviewing possible committee members and chairs? The number one item is that personality matters! You will want to consider people with whom you will be able to work and more importantly, with whom you will enjoy working. Also, committee members should be individuals who value the input of the committee chair and who will not constantly challenge him/her. The successful working relationships between the committee chair and members are just as important as your own working relationship with them. Your committee members should share your dissertational interests and work in the same manner as you do. They should also care about you as an individual and your professional development as a researcher and scholar. Find out about previous committees on which they have served and get their input on your potential dissertation ideas.

When interviewing possible candidates, it also crucial to make sure that they have the time and availability to perform the duties associated with being a committee member. It is possible that a good candidate may be taking a sabbatical during the time in which your dissertation requires his/her presence. Additionally, candidates may already be serving on other committees and this will limit their schedule of accessibility. Finally, your committee members should be individuals who have access to a wide variety of resources, including information, research options, and other people. By selecting committee members who have these types of connections, you are thus empowered with the same resources. Above all, your committee members should inspire and motivate you to achieve great things. If the proper time is taken and the right questions are asked when selecting doctoral committee members, the road to receiving your doctorate will be smoother and more fulfilling.

Home / Dissertations / How to Choose the Members of Your Doctoral Committee?