Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

how voice and tone is driven in: "letter from birmingham jail"

Sw33tP_11 1 / -  
I am working on an essay for my English 102 class. We have to discuss how voice and tone is driven in the "letter from birmingham." I am stuck and I need lots of help.

Eight clergymen declare Dr. King's demonstrations and other activities "untimely and unwise." Dr. King writes a response to a letter from the eight clergymen while sitting in jail. In the "Letter from Birmingham Jail", Dr. King was able to turn the words of the clergymen back on themselves. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's,. letter to the eight clergymen compels with voice and tone implying his reasoning and strong feelings.

King's use of "The Good Book" reveals his powerful but calm tone and better states his point of view. In the letter King compares himself to Paul because they both wanted to bring freedom. Many of Paul's letters were written in prison. King spreads the news of ending segregation. King states, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to injustice everywhere."(136) I agree with this statement because if someone is being fair and just to everyone they see but then they see someone else who is not, they could see how must easier it is to just not care and not give everyone the justice they deserve.

Dr. King also exposes how compassionate he feels in negotiating with the city. When the clergymen express that they did not appreciate King being in Birmingham because they did not like "outsiders coming in," King reminds them that he serves as President of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which was in every southern state. The Southern Leadership Conference tried several times to negotiate with the city, but nothing was done. When the clergymen complain about the demonstrations in Birmingham, King told them that their statements "fail to express a similar concern for the conditions that brought about the demonstrations. These are only a few of the counterpoints that King suggests and answers.

Dr. King's strong and broad voice displays strongly on how he feels towards segregation. Dr. King is sure that segregation law is unjust. He felt that people should disobey the laws. He felt that it was wrong for the clergymen to support the Birmingham police by brutalizing Negroes. I agree with King in this manner because if the clergymen were real men of God, they would reflect back on how Jesus was beaten and want to make a change as King wanted.

In conclusion,
I think you should write the date at the beginning, to add drama and a sense of time.

King's use of "The Good Book" reveals his powerful but calm tone, and better states his point of view.

In the letter, King compares himself to Paul because they both wanted to bring about freedom.

King states, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to injustice everywhere."(136)---Important to have this right! :)

I agree with this statement because if someone is being fair and just to everyone they see but then they see someone else who is not, they could see how much easier it is to just not care and not give everyone the justice they deserve.

When the clergymen complained about the demonstrations in Birmingham, King told them...

Dr. King's strong and broad voice displays onhow strongly he feels towards segregation.

I agree with King in this manneron this matter because if the clergymen were real men of God, they would reflect back on how Jesus was beaten and want to make the changes King wanted.

:)

Home / Book Reports / how voice and tone is driven in: "letter from birmingham jail"