Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

Being Told you were Switched at Birth is Not Easy; ENGLISH THEME ESSAY

crystal77 8 / 13 1  
Crystal C. Amaechi
Dr. Alice Sandosharaj
English 003-65
1 February 2013
Being Told you are Switched at Birth is Not Easy

"Two teen-age girls discover that, as babies, they were switched in a Kansas City hospital, probably by a nurse"(Nussbaum par 3). The author argues that "Switched at Birth" contains a cheesy storyline that is similar to every other teenage drama that has been aired. I could understand the logic of the author, but I still disagree with Nussbaum's logic when she argues that the show's plots are cornier than others by comparing "Switched at Birth" with other television show dramas. I believe "Switched at Birth" is a thought-provoking drama that deals with heavy, deep rooted issues. It stands true as one of the few television show dramas that can identify with and explore family relationships, teen issues and the obstacles of connecting with people who are extremely different from you. It is illogical to compare "Switched at Birth" to other television show dramas that are aimed at teenagers as these are issues that all teenagers deal with or can even identify with for in most shows.

Very few television show dramas focus on exploring family relationships. "Switched at Birth" promotes a family-friendly theme that examines the importance of dependability, responsibility, communication, perseverance and being able to cope with hardship. In "Switched at Birth," both leading ladies Bay Kennish and Daphne Vasquez, deal with the overwhelming circumstances that come along with being switched at birth. In turn, both of their families are forced to set aside their differences in order to attain a mutual understanding.

Although, it is a very thought-provoking drama, I can see how some viewers would think the show lacks sophistication. Nussbaum critiques, "Switched at Birth" might benefit from a more sophisticated style, I guess. The soundtrack can be syrupy" (Nussbaum par 11). Although "Switched at Birth" may aim at a more family-friendly audience than most drama, it still lacks a few of the qualities that characterize it as being sophisticated. The show does gloss over some issues without examining them in depth. While knowing this, I still believe "Switched at Birth" examines areas that have always been hidden in the dark. It opens a broader understanding for viewers, enabling them to recognize a specific disability. In turn, "Switched at Birth" raises awareness to the issue deafness and presents deaf culture in a positive light.

That being said; the show can be similar to other dramas in some ways. For example, it tackles controversial issues that many families in the society deal with daily. It may contain a glamorized viewpoint of the outcome of being switched at birth like living in a guest house of an entitled family and buying a car after things got off to a shaky start. However, "Switched at Birth" is an innovative, groundbreaking show that critiques and explores topics that other shows have not been able to explore. Although "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" focuses on controversial issues, the reoccurring theme of teen pregnancy is quite annoying. This is because "Secret Life" often glosses over family-friendly themes and morale. Instead it strongly emphasizes the glamorization of teenage pregnancy, abandoning some of these themes in order to live for one's self, in turn lacking authenticity.

Furthermore, Nussbaum states that ABC Family had always struck her as a conventional teenage girl, all white teeth and scrunchies. Paradoxically, most of the television shows that air on ABC Family do not exhibit the idealistic family. Instead, shows like The "Secret Life of the American Teenager" and "Switched at Birth" focus on how modern day teenagers struggle with coping with adversity and the stereotypes that come along with being different. The fact that Nussbaum characterizes ABC family as a "teenage girl, all white teeth and scrunchies" (Nussbaum par 2) contradicts her later critique of the show's need to be "more sophisticated" (Nussbaum par 11). The fact that "Switched at Birth" is so raw and underdeveloped makes it what it is.

In retrospect, comparing "Switched at Birth" to other television show dramas is still illogical because that other TV show dramas are aimed at regular teenagers. The circumstances in "Switched at Birth" greatly differ because deafness is not something that all teenagers deal with. Oftentimes we hear stories of teenage pregnancies and teenage drug abuse. However, we seldom hear stories of a deaf kid being switched at birth. It is just not common. This show is extremely groundbreaking because it explores topics that people usually shy away from. Although shows like "Switched at Birth" examine very touchy subjects like deafness, if you truly understand the premise on which it was based you will learn to appreciate the uniqueness about it.
temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
i was really provoked to search wikipedia for the drama... for your expression was an interest developer... the only problem... you used the name of drama very frequently... rather excessively.. avoid that... that was a great attempt from your side... just want to know the purpose of writing...?

BEST OF LUCK... :)

Home / Book Reports / Being Told you were Switched at Birth is Not Easy; ENGLISH THEME ESSAY