Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 11

"The Storm" by Kate Chopin - my position paper

maomao 1 / 2  
i am doing The Storm by Kate Chopin for my position paper. i have a little difficult in choosing my stand.. we only can choose a stand and find evidence to support my point. The pages have to be in 20 pages. so, this point has to be a very strong point. Here is some of my opinion.

The setting of the storm leads the characters' adultery
- talk about all the characters in the story esp Calixta and Bibi and Alcee.

or
Adultery is natural and does not necessary have negative consequence
- Calixta and Alcee having sex during the storm ( but this is not a good stand cause it only have a few points)

or
An unfaithful woman having one night stand during the storm.

Any suggestion on this topic?
I personally would favor the second topic, as it would lead to a more readily debatable thesis, but you can and should go with whichever topic you think you can write the most about. Why not try brainstorming a list of points for each topic, and see if anything sparks?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
The third topic isn't a topic at all, simply a one sentence summary of the plot.

The first topic is the most intriguing to me, but might be difficult to argue unless you are a skilled literary critic. What you'd have to do is pull out descriptions of place from the story and then put these together with an analysis of how circumstances/environment circumscribe or facilitate actions.

So, of the three you stated, I guess the second is best, but I'm not thrilled with that either. I'd like to see you do more brainstorming to find a topic sufficiently complex for a paper of that length but not so complex that you cannot address it adequately.

What's most intriguing to you about the story? If you were to try to tell a friend what it was about or what you think Kate Chopin was trying to communicate, what would you say?
OP maomao 1 / 2  
ok.. i decided that my thesis statement for the storm is adultery is a natural phenomenon and does not necessary bring any negative consequence.
Storm is symbolize as the adultery act, come and gone, in and out,and it is a part of the natural phenomenon. On the other hand, storm is adultery therefore lead to the storm symbolic the nature of sexuality and passion.

that the way i bring out the Thesis statement.
But, now i have to bring in all the supporting points based on my stand...
i need 3 supporting points..
i have a rough idea about it.
1.)woman's desire of love and sex
- Calexta thirst for the intense sexuality and intimacy with ALcee
2.)Society has change to be more open- minded.
- She doesn't even feel guilty when she has sex with Alcee. She laugh out loud after they have sex. Adultry is natural as society can accept it

3.)pending..
i dono what others point...

any suggestion?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
20 pages? On that thesis? I don't know. Others who have read the story -- it's commonly found in first-year college readers -- please jump in with ideas.
OP maomao 1 / 2  
nono..
1000 words only..
20 pages is a bit too much,
cause the story is short...
pls... i need some guidance..
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
So, about four pages. It's time for you to quit wavering and get to work. You've got a thesis and a couple of arguments. Sketch out an outline, write a rough draft, and post what you've got for feedback.
lakeebie75 - / 1  
setting analysis essay (The Storm by Kate Chopin)

Hello, I need to write a 500 word setting analysis essay on The Storm by Kate Chopin. I need some help starting my paper. I am having trouble coming up with a good thesis sentence. Can anyone help?
maniano 1 / 6  
Maybe you can try some dialogue or quotation...Well, I think it really depends on yourself anyways.
dhendri3 - / 1  
Kate Chopin's "The Storm" - importance of the setting and influence on the story

I have to discuss the importance of the setting and how it influences not only the plot of the story, but also reveal the nature of the characters. Using one of these literary elements: point of view, characterization, style, theme, setting, tone, etc.
peyman_np 6 / 15 1  
In fact, I did not get your point. Please explain more about what can we do for you?

Home / Book Reports / "The Storm" by Kate Chopin - my position paper