Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

milton attempts to explain why god created satan thus bringing suffering

bree_x313 1 / 1  
I need to write a essay in which I defend or refute miltons justification for the creation of satan , im defending him as to why he created him I need a thesis statement
nbcordero 1 / 4  
Ok you are justifying Milton's use of satan in Paradise Lost correct? Then it would probably be a good idea to define how he uses Satan in the story. He does use him to glorify God ,as well as as a test to try believers relationship to the Lord, and makes Satan more appealing in earlier books inorder to show us how easy man can be persuaded to do evil...

see if this helps..
"According to Milton one reason that Satan is so attractive and dominates the early books of the poem is because Milton wants us to be seduced, wants us to be lured by Satan's infectious words only so he (Milton) can correct us later and show us the error of our ways. In this way, Milton re-enacts the Fall for his readers: like Eve, we buy into Satan's arguments, only to suffer the punishment of Milton's rebuke. Similarly, when we first see the Garden of Eden it is through Satan's eyes. When Satan sees what he's excluded from, it suddenly becomes clear to us what the consequences of siding with Satan are: we won't be able to get into paradise (exactly what happens to Adam and Eve in the end)."

I hope this helps! if not let me know further what you don't understand
formenthos 3 / 20 2  
You already have a basic thesis. Let your exploration of the topic guide you to refining that basic position.

If you're defending Milton's position, isn't "Paradise Lost" all of his justification? Pick strong examples from the book that you feel you can explain why they are logical. See if you can find other sources that support those positions in a different context (context that does not discuss Milton or his book, and if posible the exact situations), to further support the points.
OP bree_x313 1 / 1  
thanks , so I have a thesis already?

Home / Book Reports / milton attempts to explain why god created satan thus bringing suffering