Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

'Lord of the Flies' Ralph and Piggy essay

caitlin mack 1 / -  
First published in 1954, William Golding's novel, 'Lord of the Flies' demonstrates how ordinary people, school boys even, can transform into power hungry animals.
The story is set on an uninhabited island in the Pacific Ocean, a plane crashes on route and kills all but a collection of young school boys, leaving them to organise themselves and in due course create a small institutionalised community until the fight for survival begins. The leaders are soon identified along with the main characters in chapter one, these are Ralph, Jack, Simon and Piggy. The characters develop throughout the novel and we see how their characteristics alter and relationships change.

Ralph is the first character introduced and becomes the elected leader of an almost tribal situation. With the introduction of the conch, a symbol of power, he was elected as leader; my opinion is that when Ralph summoned the remainder of the boys, it was as if they were back in civilisation because a meeting is a mature and civilised and as Ralph demonstrated good leadership was the one that organised the first meeting he was already set up to be the leader. Ralph's character is definitely influenced by his background: "Daddy taught me. He's a commander in the Navy." This comment suggests that Ralph is comfortable with the idea that he is still very young, contrasting to Merridrew who has not referred or mentioned anything to do with civilisation nor ordinariness. When he says, 'Daddy' it demonstrates his youth and immaturity even though the authoritative figure he will become whilst being on the island is contradictory from the natural immaturity he has.

When Ralph is introduced to Piggy we instantly differentiate the two by the way they speak: "sucks to your ass-mar!" said Ralph as he mocked Piggy's unusual accent; from Ralph recognising this and mocking it, we can see that the two upbringings were very dissimilar. Piggy is in a lower socio-economic class and the two boys being forced into co-habitation together highlights the contrast between the two defined classes of society.

The boys on the island all see Ralph and jack as their superiors, whether it be through natural authority and leadership or good looks and intelligence; there is a defined difference in he way the boy's support each of them though.:" with dreary obedience the choir raised their hands." The choir boys do not use diction to protest jack but unenthusiasm in the things they are almost expected to say to head chorister. Whereas: "Ralph! Ralph!" demonstrates unorthodox enthusiasm for Ralph compared to jacks choir.

Throughout chapter one and two Ralph demonstrates democracy and his emotions are not withdrawn through anger or punishments but through a politically correct manner. "we'll have to have hands up' like at school" when Ralph says this he exhibits maturity and a sensible nature along the need for normality and the influence of society they were so accustomed to before they ended up on the island. Ralph wants to have a good time on the island while keeping in mind that they still need to work toward a rescue and this attitiude is respected by all apart from those with analogous ideas.

Overall in the novel lord of the Flies the symbolism is very obvious through the individuality and mannerisms of each character. Ralph for example represents order and civilization where the intentions are innocent but the outcome is not. Merridrew symbolises the military forces of civilization willing to enforce violence to achieve his objective. Regardless of the two boys being worlds apart on their purpose with the power the analogy of the way Ralph uses it and the way Merridrew uses it are completely different the way they implement it they are still opinionated (Ralph's mostly through Piggy's influence) like putting rules into effect instantaneously.
karlacnavas721 1 / 4  
I enjoyed reading your essay! overall it was very well put and few grammatical mistakes

first line: power --> powerFUL or maybe change it to savage to further prove the point you are trying to make.
Second line: organIZE

The leaders are soon identified along with the main characters in chapter one, these are Ralph, Jack, Simon and Piggy --->The leaders are soon identified along with the main characters in chapter one as Ralph, Jack, Simon, and Piggy.

With the introduction of the conch, a symbol of power, he was elected as the leader; I believe that when Ralph summoned the remainder of the boys to a meeting, it was as if they were back in civilization because a meeting is considered mature and sophisticated. Ralph demonstrated good leadership by being the one that organized the first meeting and already assumed the role as leader [hinting his _____ (controlling/demeaning) behavior] *optional

Home / Book Reports / 'Lord of the Flies' Ralph and Piggy essay