Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 24

King Lear essay tracing Lear's progress in Act 2

sarahmk 22 / 55  
Hey Sarah...I'm finally starting a new essay. Its about king lear. I have to write an expository essays of 750-1000 words, tracing Lear's progress in Act 2, from denial to rage to isolation. I was wondering if you read King Lear and if you know any examples of him being in denial, rage or isolation. Also could you explain to me what a expository essay is??

Thanks
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

To answer your last question first, you are in luck--we have an article on how to write the expository essay! You can find it here: Expository Paper

You'll find several examples in King Lear of denial, rage and isolation. For instance, his denial and rage at the death of Cornelia. You might be surprised at how many hits you get if you do an internet search with the terms "King Lear denial rage isolation." This is obviously a popular topic for essay assignments! :-)

I hope this helps get you started!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
thanks
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
Hey Sarah I came up for my main points. I just need some help with the way i should construct the essay. I hope to have it done by friday...so i will be working on this for quickly, and i want it too be good. By the way thanks for all your help. On my last assignment i received a good mark, because of your support, and assistance. Now I hope this essay could be just as good, or even better.

Here is what I have soo far in terms of of my layout:

For Denial

-Kent tells Lear Regan and Cornall put him in the stocks. Lear cannt believe it.
-Lear stands in fierce denial of his loss of authority

Rage

-Lear curses his daughters

Isolation

-Lear flees from civilazation leaving safey of walls and roofs behind in favor of the choas and confusion of the natural world.

My Questions are:
How could I make these three (Denial, Rage and Isolation) link?
Could you help me come up with a thesis based on my information?
How should I start the essay? Could you give me an idea?

Thats All! For Now thankkkkksssss soooooooooo much
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

It seems to me that denial, rage and isolation have a sort of cause-and-effect link. Denial leads to rage; rage leads, eventually, to isolation.

Your thesis and opening could go something like this:

King Lear's journey through the play takes him on a path from denial to rage to isolation, leaving him, in the end, a broken fragment of the king he once was, who dies from grief at the loss of the daughter he had rejected.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
Sarah could you please help with my beginning, how should i start it?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I thought perhaps you could start with the thesis sentence I gave you. ;) You might want to add a few words, though, such as: In William Shakespeare's tragic play, King Lear, the title character is a flawed man whose inability to see the truth in front of him leads to his downfall. King Lear's journey through the play takes him on a path from denial to rage to isolation, leaving him, in the end, a broken fragment of the king he once was, who dies from grief at the loss of the daughter he had rejected.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
Hello! Could you read this over and tell me if its good? The bolded parts, can you help me fix them up?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I've made some corrections for you:

His denial stems from his not being able to see his daughters' true colors. This denial leads to his rage, when he is able to see Regan and Cornall are being thoughtless of his authority. He eventually isolates himself, in hopes of redefining who he is. Lear moves through stages in his life before any wisdom can be gained, resulting in his becoming a victim to his own poor choices.

It is said [by whom??] denial is "an unconscious defense mechanism used to reduce anxiety by denying thoughts, feelings, or facts that are consciously intolerable." King Lear's denial derives from his blindness towards Regan and Cornwall's deceitful actions. He can't see his daughter and her husband's true motives, since he is masked by their lies and deception. Lear and his followers arrive at Gloucester's castle. Kent hails the king, who promptly asks who has placed his messenger in stocks. When Lear finds out it was Regan and Cornwall who did this to Kent, Lear immediately refuses to believe they would imprison and disgrace someone in their King's employ: "They durst not do't: They could not, would not do't---tis worse than murder" (II.iv. 212-214). Lear convincing himself his daughter and Cornwall would not mistreat his servant Kent symbolizes his denial .[It does not "symbolize" his denial; it IS his denial]

By being in denial, Lear can avoid the harsh reality that his daughters Goneril and Regan, as well as Regan's [?] husband Cornwall, do not respect his authority. To circumvent the truth, he makes an excuse for Cornwall's devious behavior: " No, but not yet, maybe he is not well/ Infirmity doth still neglect all office/ Whereto our health is bound/ We are not ourselves," (II. Iv. 294-297). Lear deniably [deniably? who is denying it?] suggests, when sick an individual constantly neglects their performances of duties that they are bound to carry out when in health. This reason, excuses Cornwall from disrespecting Kent. Even though Lear attempts to solve this problem, he stands in fierce denial of his loss of authority. He no longer has power, only the title King. His unbelievable denial alternates into a powerful rage. ["alternates" means it goes back and forth between the two; did you mean it develops into rage?]

Good job!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
i forget to add one more thing to the post above,

i added this to the paragraph:

The lack of compassion Goneril and Regan show Lear, provokes him to be frantic and to seek revenge on his egotistic daughters: To bear it tamely; touch me with noble anger/...I will have such revenges on you both/That all the world shall-I will do such things/...O fool I shall go mad" (II.IV.465-75).

Could you please help me to explain this statement said by lear...like what his trying to say?

thanks
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
Hey Sarah. Im sorry i fixed it up again, nvm what was previously posted. Overall can you help me with my grammer and spelling. The bolded parts, are the parts i need help with. There are to quotes that i was wondering if you could help me explain them?

1) Can you help me with a better opening, topic sentence, thats more engaging?
2) Does the paragraph flow?
3)Is the ending good?

King Lear becomes in a state of anger, when he witnesses his daughters lack of respect towards his commands. His inability to believe what he is seeing causes him to become outraged.

Lear desperately begs Regan to shelter him, but she refuses ( Could you help me write this better?): "Good sir, no more. These are unsightly tricks/Return to my sister" (II.IV.346-47). Regan shows little compassion for her father who is in need of her charity. Rather then providing their father with shelter, both Regan and Goneril toll with his emotions. They take the position of being leaders, while Lear becomes a distressed "follower." They order Lear that he cannot live with either one of them if he has over twenty-five men: "If you will come to me/...I entreat you/ To bring but five and twenty: to no more." (II.IV 416-18) By them denying his men, they are taking away his authority.

Lear is able to see Regan is inconsiderate of his emotions. He immediately explodes with anger: "Allow not nature more than nature needs/Man's life is a cheap as beasts. (II.IV.453-55). (Can you help me explain what this means?) Lear embodies such rage that he curses Goneril, who has a "sharp-tooth unkindness towards him" (II.Iv.132): "My curses on her" (II.IV.334). His rage resulted in him invoking evil on his daughters, since they made a mockery out of him: " I pray you father, being weak, seem so" (II.IV.390). Regan views her father as a senile, and a weaken king, who no longer can handle control.

Lear sees the dishonor his daughters have for him. This provokes him to be frantic, and to seek revenge on his egotistic daughters: "To bear it tamely; touch me with noble anger/... I will have such revenges on you both/That all the world shall-I will do such things/... O fool I shall go mad" (II.IV.465-75). ( Can you help me explain this).

Lear was blinded by Rogan and Cornwall's love in which he denied their immorality. Yet when he had to accept the truth that his daughters were his "corrupted blood", he became filled with anger. His uncontrollable rage, evolves into a sad isolation
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
In additon to the post above, can you also correct these two last paragraphs. Im done my esay and i hope you can help me fix the post above and these two below. Thanks for everything.

1) Is thebeginning of my third paragraph good?
2) Can you help me with the bolded parts?
3) Did i explain the quotes good?
4) is my grammer and sleeping good?

Carlos Salinas, once stated, "Isolation is a self-defeating dream." When King Lear loses his authority. He turns to isolation, in an effort to regain some purpose in his life before it slips away. After the confrontation amongst Lear and his daughters, Cornwall asks Gloucester (The Earl), where King Lear was departing: "Alack, the night comes on, and the high winds/Do sorely ruffle; for many miles about/There's scarce a bush" (II.IV.490-92). Lear ventures furiously out into the storm of his own accord. The king would rather experience a dark and chaotic night, than to keep the companionship of his daughters who oblige that he abandons his followers.

The coming storm signals the disarray in Lear's life. Regan shows no remorse for her father and his sorrow: "Shut up your doors" (II.IV.302). This is a symbolic force of alienating King Lear. Before he left, Lear establishes he is truthfully saddened: "Or e'er I'll weep" (II.IV.475). By isolating him, he will be able to reflect and got through a purgatorial suffering only to gain some sort of wisdom. Lear sets out into the storm to find a better him.

In Shakespeare tragic play, King Lear, it follows the life of a damaged man, who is blinded by his love for his self-seeking daughters. King Lear transitions from denial, to rage to isolation. This causes him to grow weaker, and to no longer be a strong willed king that he once was. The passion he has for his daughters hinders him from seeing the their true motives. When having to accept reality, Lear engages in denial, since he is tormented that his daughters are rather wicked. His refutation leads to his rage, since he is able to witness, Goneril, Regan and Cornwall, do not obey his authority. After being dejected, Lear then decides to isolate himself, in hope of rediscovering who he is. Lear's "passion and shame tormented him, which led to his rage to be mingled with his grief." He was once a king, who obtained great power, but become weaken to his vulnerability.

I just want to say thanks for everything!!!!
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Here are some suggestions:

King Lear becomes enraged when he witnesses his daughters lack of respect towards his commands.

Lear desperately begs Regan to shelter him, but she refuses - In desperation, Lear begs Regan to shelter him, but she refuses.

Rather than providing - Saying "rather then [doing one thing, instead of something else]" is ALWAYS incorrect.

Regan views her father as a senile, weakened king, who no longer can handle control.

It's a little difficult for me to help you explain quotes taken out of context; I'd have to read the whole play to really give you an in-depth analysis. I think you have a good handle on what's going on, though.

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

The king would rather experience a dark and chaotic night, than to keep the companionship of his daughters who demand that he abandons his followers.

By isolating himself, he will be able to reflect and go through a purgatorial suffering only to gain some sort of wisdom. Lear sets out into the storm to find a better version of himself.

Shakespeare's tragic play, King Lear, follows the life of a damaged man, who is blinded by his love for his self-seeking daughters.

This causes him to grow weaker, and to no longer be the strong-willed king that he once was.

He was once a king who obtained great power, but became weakened by his vulnerabilities.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
yahmar - / 1  
hey sarahmk im working on the same thing as you right now i was wondering if i can see your final copy please and thank you please reply soon
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
It's up to sarahmk, but I think if I had worked as hard on the assignment as she has, I would be reluctant to give it out. ;-)

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
yahmar whats ur email address?
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
Hey sarah could you check over my final copy

My teacher read it, this is what he had to say:
-Introduction presents thesis - but what you sate is incomplete, as noted above.
Body paragraphs are unified and logically ordered, one for each supporting point.
Conclusion attempts to summarize main points and provide closure... But two scrambled sentences at the end make what you are trying to say unintelligible to your reader.

-Spelling and grammar errors
-Relevant textual references and facts somewhat effectively support the thesis

-Ideas and facts are accurately chosen - but only somewhat clearly explained.
Faulty sentences get in your way.

Could you help me fix up my essay based on what my teacher stated above

King's Progress in Act II

The decisions one makes can influence the course of their journey all-stemming from a single moment in time. In William Shakespeare's tragic play, King Lear, the title character is a flawed man whose inability to see the truth in front of him leads to his downfall. King Lear's journey through the play takes him on a path from denial to rage to isolation, leaving him, in the end, a broken fragment of the king he once was.

...
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I have edited the grammar problems for you:

The decisions one makes can influence the course of one's journey through life, all stemming from a single moment in time. In William Shakespeare's tragic play, King Lear, the title character is a flawed man whose inability to see the truth in front of him leads to his downfall. King Lear's journey through the play takes him on a path from denial to rage to isolation, leaving him, in the end, a broken fragment of the king he once was. His denial stems from his not being able to see his daughters' true colors. This denial leads to his rage, when he perceives that Regan and Cornwall are being thoughtless of his authority. Lear then descends into isolation, in hopes of redefining who he is. Lear moves through stages in his life before any wisdom can be gained, resulting in his becoming a victim to his own poor choices. [I'm not really sure what you mean by "stages in his life" ...]

It is said denial is "an unconscious defense mechanism used to reduce anxiety by denying thoughts, feelings, or facts that are consciously intolerable (dictionary.com)." King Lear's denial derives from his blindness towards Regan and Cornwall's deceitful actions. He cannot see his daughter's and her husband's true motives, since they are masked by lies and deception. Lear and his followers arrive at Gloucester's castle. Kent hails the king, who promptly asks who has placed his messenger in stocks. When Lear finds out it was Regan and Cornwall who did this to Kent, Lear immediately refuses to believe they would imprison and disgrace someone in their King's employ: "They durst not do't: They could not, would not do't---tis worse than murder" (II.iv. 212-214). The fact that Lear convinces himself that his daughter and Cornwall would not mistreat his servant, Ken, shows his denial and aptitude for self-deception.

By being in denial, Lear can avoid the harsh reality that his daughters, Goneril and Regan, as well as Regan's husband, Cornwall, do not respect his authority. To circumvent the truth, he makes an excuse for Cornwall's devious behavior: "No, but not yet, maybe he is not well/ Infirmity doth still neglect all office/ Whereto our health is bound/ We are not ourselves," (II. Iv. 294-297). Lear suggests that, when sick, an individual constantly neglects performances of duties that he is bound to carry out when in health. This reason excuses Cornwall for disrespecting Kent. Even though Lear attempts to solve this problem, he stands in fierce denial of his loss of authority. He no longer has power, only the title, King. His unbelieving denial develops into a powerful rage.

King Lear becomes enraged when he witnesses his daughters' lack of respect towards his commands. His inability to believe what he is seeing causes him to become outraged. In desperation, Lear begs Regan to shelter him, but she refuses: "Good sir, no more. These are unsightly tricks/Return to my sister" (II.IV.346-47). Regan shows little compassion for her father who is in need of her charity. Rather than providing their father with shelter, both Regan and Goneril toy with his emotions. They take the position of being leaders, while Lear becomes a distressed "follower." They tell Lear that he cannot live with either one of them if he has over twenty-five men: "If you will come to me/...I entreat you/ To bring but five and twenty: to no more." (II.IV 416-18) By them denying him his men, they are taking away his authority.

Lear is able to see Regan is inconsiderate of his emotions. He immediately explodes with anger: "Allow not nature more than nature needs/Man's life is a cheap as beasts. (II.IV.453-55). (Can you help me explain what this means?) [Lear is expressing anger by comparing his life to that of an animal. Animals, being inferior to humans, Lear is saying that he is being treated as less than human.] Lear embodies such rage that he curses Goneril, who has a "sharp-tooth unkindness towards him" (II.Iv.132): "My curses on her" (II.IV.334). His rage resulted in him invoking evil on his daughters, since they made a mockery out of him: " I pray you father, being weak, seem so" (II.IV.390). Regan views her father as a senile, weakened king, who no longer can handle control. Lear sees the dishonor his daughters have for him. This provokes him to be frantic, and to seek revenge on his egotistical daughters: "To bear it tamely; touch me with noble anger/...You unnatural hags/ I will have such revenges on you both/That all the world shall-I will do such things/... O fool I shall go mad" (II.IV.465-75).

Lear was blinded by Regan and Cornwall's love in which he denied their immorality. Yet when he had to accept the truth that his daughters were his "corrupted blood," he became filled with anger. His uncontrollable rage evolves into a sad isolation.

Carlos Salinas once stated, "Isolation is a self-defeating dream." When King Lear loses his authority, he turns to isolation, in an effort to regain some purpose in his life before it slips away. After the confrontation amongst Lear and his daughters, Cornwall asks Gloucester (The Earl), where King Lear was departing: "Alack, the night comes on, and the high winds/Do sorely ruffle; for many miles about/There's scarce a bush" (II.IV.490-92). Lear ventures furiously out into the storm of his own accord. The king would rather experience a dark and chaotic night, than to keep the companionship of his daughters who demand that he abandon his followers.

The coming storm signals the disarray in Lear's life. Regan shows no remorse for her father and his sorrow: "Shut up your doors" (II.IV.302). This is a symbolic force of alienating King Lear. Before he leaves, Lear establishes he is truthfully saddened: "Or e'er I'll weep" (II.IV.475). By isolating himself, he will be able to reflect and go through a purgatorial suffering only to gain some sort of wisdom. Lear sets out into the storm to find a better version of himself.

Shakespeare's tragic play, King Lear, follows the life of a damaged man, who is blinded by his love for his self-seeking daughters. King Lear transitions from denial, to rage to isolation. This causes him to grow weaker, and to no longer be the strong willed king that he once was. The passion he has for his daughters hinders him from seeing the their true motives. When having to accept reality, Lear engages in denial, since he is tormented that his daughters are rather wicked. His refutation leads to his rage, since he is able to witness Goneril, Regan and Cornwall, do not obey his authority. After being rejected, Lear then decides to isolate himself, in hope of rediscovering who he is. Lear's "passion and shame tormented him, which led to his rage to be mingled with his grief." He was once a king who held great power, but became weakened by his vulnerabilities, which were, eventually, his downfall.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
Vipul 1 / 7  
Hey Sarah! How are you? I would like to write an essay about king lear. I have to write an expository essays of 750-1000 words, tracing Lear's progress in Act 2, from denial to rage to isolation.

I was wondering if i can see your final copy please and also if you don't mind, Can you give me your email id plese. So will contect you if i need help please.

I have getting ease to starting an essay, so can you help me plese?

Thanks
Vipul
Hi! you know, if you check out sparknotes it really makes it easy to understand. I am sure King Lear is covered in Sparknotes. Do not just read Sparknotes and skip the actual play...

But you can use SparkNotes.com to learn about the themes at work, and you can come up with ideas.
croonsby - / 1  
King Lear and his manipulative ways

Im trying to think of ways that Lear manipulated people with in his country and with in his family.
smallfry320 1 / 3  
In the beginning he tried to manipulate his daughters - he forced them to declare their love for him, and when Cordelia's profession of affection was not sufficient, he disowned her.

...maybe that helps?! I don't know.
Just read it! :-) It is hard to understand, so use Sparknotes to get the general idea, but then really read it and enjoy it. Spend some time. It will enrich your personality and perspective like it has done for so many of us.

Home / Book Reports / King Lear essay tracing Lear's progress in Act 2