Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 7

King Lear - is there meaning or value in the deaths in King Lear?

dora81 3 / 8  
Hi,

I have a big paper due for King Lear; about ten pages. There are ten deaths in the play and some take place on stage and others off stage. The key question is: Characters (and audience) seek to find meaning or value in death (theirs or others'). Are there any in the play? Discuss.

The ten deaths are those of King Lear and his three daughters, Gloucester and Edmund, Cornwall and his servant, Oswald, and the unnamed character that kills Cordelia.

What do you suggest I should do to tackle this?

I have basically tried to make some sense of how does one define death to have meaning? what makes death meaningful?

I think it's difficult to say whether someone's death has value without looking at the prior sequence of events up to the last moment of the character's Being. And for death to have meaning, I believe two things should occur:

1) transgression followed by transformation must take place up to the point of death
2) death must teach the audience and/or other characters in the play

(I think a theorist said this if I'm not wrong, I just can't remember who!)

Do you think that's a sufficient way of qualifying death as valuable or insignificant?

I wanted to focus on Lear, Gloucestor, Edmund...do you think that's enough?

Thank you for your help in advance! I look forward to hearing your thoughts :)
dontlook7 - / 6  
*disclaimer: i have not read King Lear :(*
transformation isn't totally necessary- one can die in sin and their death would still be meaningful, it would still teach a lesson.

If I were you, I'd also discuss the death of the unnamed character.
It would be a juxtaposition of a valuable death and an invaluable death.
Maybe discuss the importance of the character in the play and the effects on the audience.
OP dora81 3 / 8  
Thanks for your advice, yes I see your point about teaching a lesson!

I was thinking of using Aristotle's definition of Tragedy, that basically character comes second to plot (actions and incidents in the play) and incorporate that in my essay.

I just need more feedback, possibly from someone that has read the play because I'm having a lot of trouble :(
OP dora81 3 / 8  
Please help, if anyone has any input!

Thank you..
Are there any in the play?

Are there any "meanings" associated with the deaths? Hmmm... I have an idea for you. Google this: scapegoat symbolic death

You have to read character analysis. Read about what the various characters symbolize, and then you will know what their deaths symbolize. Know the characters deeply, and no one will be able to tell you that you are wrong. Know the characters deeply, and your idea will be as good as anyone's.

But it is important to google this:
King Lear, death, symbolism, character -------------- Read at least 2 different analyses. Sparknotes is great. Get deeply familiar. :-)
daj - / 1  
King Lear and Cordelia's death

Why was Cordelia's death at the end of king lear justified form either a dramatic or moral view?

I need help ASAP!
5 pages due tomorrow and i am stuck!!
Leah_Writer - / 46 4  
Morally, I think it isn't justified, but dramatically, it makes perfect sense--the true tragedy of the play is that Lear has truly lost everything, and that Cordelia--unlike her sisters--was innocent and loving, but does not deserve her death. I think Shakespeare's making a point about the futility of living a good life, and how tragedy can strike anywhere. So, Cordelia's death is kind of inevitable, since she's what makes Lear's story truly tragic. I hope that helps!

Home / Book Reports / King Lear - is there meaning or value in the deaths in King Lear?