Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Hamlet and Laertes both have different relationship with Ophelia, SHORT ESSAY (NEED HELP)

Qammer 2 / 3  
hi i need urgent help with this essay its due in 48hours. i am bad at grammar if you could help me. that would be awesome.

Hamlet and Lacerates both have different relationship with Ophelia
In the play Hamlet, there are many characters that are similar to each other. Hamlet and Laertes are of the same age group so they have many things in common but because of the different family background they also react differently wit some decisions of the life. Hamlet and Laertes have some similarities but more differences. They both have different personalities but their motivations are same. The way they behave, their thoughts and more importantly their actions shows that they were raised in different environment but they have similar positions in their families. One important thing shown in the play is that they deeply love the same person but in different ways and they act differently when they angry.

Hamlet and Laertes both have different relationship with Ophelia. Before going to France, Laertes tells his sister about Hamlet loves for her. He tries to tell Ophelia about his intentions and the other side of Hamlet love. For Hamlet and the trifling of his favour,Hold it a fashion and a toy in blood,A violet in the youth of primary nature,Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting,The perfume and suppliance of a minute; No more. ( hamlet - scene 3 - line 6-10). Laertes also tells Ophelia that hamlet would have to marry someone same of his blood and status. He tries to save the future of her sister which shows his love for Ophelia. On the other hand , hamlet's love for Ophelia throughout the entire play is foggy. Hamlet tells Ophelia that he loves her , but then also says that he doesn't love her. The reason he did that could be because he knows someone was watching their conversation. He thinks that it is her father Polonius who is keeping eye on them and planning to do something. On the other hand, when Hamlet tells Ophelia to go to the nuns, it shows how much love and care he has for Ophelia . he has a doubt that Ophelia is pregnant with his child. But he doesn't want to bring the child in the world because things are not going right. Hamlet insanity makes some people think that he is crazy because of the rejection of his love for Ophelia. Later in the play, hamlet starts treating her badly which ends up taking her life. Hamlet and Laertes fight in the grave of Ophelia and both demands to be buried alive with Ophelia. They both express their love and their relationship with Ophelia in the graveyard in presence of King and Queen.

Hamlet is in a position where he does not know what to do next. He is fighting with his own emotions. He knows his uncle is the killer of his father. So he introduces it through a play in front of everyone and shows his uncle that, the incident is not a mystery anymore. In the play, he shows everything what his uncle did to kill his father. With that play Claudius, hamlet's uncle gets to know that hamlet knows everything. So he fears of losing everything. He thinks that getting rid of hamlet would be a solution. That's why he wants to send hamlet to England. He sends a secret letter, in which it said to assassinate Hamlet. But hamlet discovers it. Claudius then looks for plan B; where he searches for a violent and hasty person. Thus he finds Laertes, son of Polonius. He tells Laertes that hamlet killed his father and he must do something for revenge. They both become helping hands and just like hamlet, Laertes now want to kill the murderer of his father. Hamlet and Laertes uses different tactics in taking revenge of their father death. Even though Hamlet found that the Claudius is the murderer of his father, he took a while and patiently waited for the good time to kill Claudius. On the other hand, Laertes after knowing the news of his father death, he came along with some of his people and attacked the King.

The end result for both Hamlet and Laertes are the same. Claudius arranged a sword fight between hamlet and Laertes. Claudius and Laertes planned the death of Hamlet. Before the fight begins, Hamlet asks Laertes for forgiveness. He tells Laertes that he didn't kill his father intentionally; it was because of his madness. They started the sword fight and both were trying to hit at each other. After getting two or three hits from Hamlet, Laertes got angry and replaced his sword with the poison sword. Laertes attacked Hamlet from back and gives him wound with a poison sword. Hamlet find out that using poison sword was Claudius plan and he also mixed poison in the drink. Hamlet however manages to kill Claudius somehow before the poison spreads in his whole body. But at the end he dies because of being hit by the poison sword. On the other hand, Laertes also dies in the same fight. After poisoning his own sword to gain an unfair result, the swords were mixed up during the fight and Hamlet wounded him with his sword that caused Laertes death. At the end both of them gets what they wanted; their father's murderers are killed but apart from that they both had to lose their life in the same fight.

The differences in the background of their family and the environment they were raised in makes them different than each other. Laertes tries to save the future of her sister by telling her about the real face of hamlet. Laertes after hearing the news of his father death gets angry and attacked the castle, whereas hamlet patiently waits for the King to be in the lust of his sin so that he can kill him. They both end up being death in the play. Even though the death of hamlet was planned, the differences and similarities hamlet and Laertes have plays a vital role in the story of the play.
madisonjz12 1 / 3  
Your opening paragraph is a bit contradicting with its statements. It opens with the similarity between characters and leads into the fact Laertes and Hamlet have many similarities. But then a sentence later contradicts that though they are similar they are radically different.

I would consider revising your entry so there are less restatements of similarities and differences.

Also when you quote the text remember along with the citation to add quotes " around the text even if there is no person talking.

I would suggest to tie Ophelia's death to the idea of 'a loss of innocence.' Both Hamlet and Laertes loose their innocence leaving them morally corrupt.

Laertes after hearing the news of his father death gets angry and attacked the castle, whereas hamlet patiently waits for the King to be in the lust of his sin so that he can kill him. They both end up being death in the play.

Revised: Laertes, after hearing the news of his fathers death, gets angry and storms into the castle; where as Hamlet patiently waits for the King to be in the lust of his sin so he can kill him. They both end up dead by the end of the play.

Home / Book Reports / Hamlet and Laertes both have different relationship with Ophelia, SHORT ESSAY (NEED HELP)