Home / Book Reports   % width NEW!

Character Foil for Romeo and Juliet

hopemg97 1 / -  
This is my topic:
What is a character foil? In the play, who is a foil for one of the lead characters (Ex. Romeo)? Why is this a character foil, and what purpose do they serve in the play?

And my Essay.... I know it needs improvement, especially for the first paragraph... but it would help so much! Thanks :)

After the Medieval Ages, William Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet, the most famous romantic tragedy in history. His uniquely shaped characters and character foils paint the scene vivid colors. Romeo's character foil Mercutio contrasts and enhances the protagonist's characteristics and personality through depth, indirect characterization, and humor.

Mercutio is an extremely cocky jokester who views the subject of love as a very physical matter. When the Montagues are on their way to the Capulet party, Mercutio mocks Romeo saying, "If love be rough with you, be rough with love. Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down" (I, iv, 27-28). Mercutio is trying to comfort his friend by proclaiming that Rosaline is just another love prick in his life, and Romeo will love again after this phase of heartbreak. Several lines past, Mercutio's Queen Mab speech about a fairy creeping on people's dreams stretches on and on (I, iv, 53-94). Romeo tries to calm his friend, and the kinsman of the Prince admits to talking of nothing; he is one "that loves to hear himself talk and will speak more in a minute than he will stand in a month" (II, iv, 137-139). His tangent proves that his witty, light-hearted remarks puncture yet highlight the passionate, love-seeking qualities of Romeo.

"Lover" has been synonymously identified with the famous name Romeo, and this assumption is far from false. The beginning of the playwright shows Romeo's sententious puppy love for Rosaline, but the feelings disappear and are replaced at the sight of Juliet. He compares her to "a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear" (I, v, 45), and he is in awe. "Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night" (I, v, 51-52). His breath is caught, and he never wants to take his eyes off of Juliet. Kissing her is all of what is important to Romeo after this life-changing meeting with the Capulet. From what Romeo says, he is capable of depth of feeling. The capacity to love causes the lover to climb into the garden of his only foe. It triggers the senselessness that ultimately brings Romeo to his death. However, without his impulsive trait, he would not be who Shakespeare's character foil has formed, and the love he shares with Juliet would not exist.

The friends have numerous differences- for example the naďve Romeo is fond of passionate poetry; however, Mercutio is realistic and does not believe in love-but they also have similarities. When Mercutio makes a dirty remark to the nurse, "'Tis no less, I tell ye; for the bawdy hand of the dial is now upon the prick of noon" (II, iv, 105-106), Romeo jokes with him, making negative sexual comments about the nurse's breasts. They find it funny to talk of inappropriate and spiteful comments directed toward women. The foil adds wit and entertainment to the play in this instance, and it illustrates the distinctiveness of Mercutio and Romeo through indirect characterization.

Following the secret marriage of the lovebirds, Romeo stumbles upon the already-tense situation between Mercutio and Tybalt. Mercutio's prankster personality plus Tybalt's hatred of all Montagues instigates the common end to three very different characters. Romeo does not wish to draw a sword, and therefore becomes the peacemaker. "Gentlemen, for shame! Forbear this outrage!" (III, i, 82). Under Romeo's peacekeeping arm, Tybalt thrusts his rapier, and Mercutio curses both Montagues and Capulets. "I am hurt. A plague a both houses! I am sped" (III, i, 86-88). To Mercutio, destiny is not the cause of his death, but rather specific people brought about his fatality. His behavior is static as he teases while being carried away by Benvolio.

Romeo's impatience not only caused his banishment and death, but also the death of his one and only Juliet. High on love, his adolescent mind wasted the potential for the future. Unaware of Romeo's new adoration of Juliet, Mercutio murdered even the mere possibility of Romeo and Juliet having a lifelong companionship with each other. The contrast between Romeo and Mercutio creatively emphasizes the personal sensuality the reader feels with the characters.

Home / Book Reports / Character Foil for Romeo and Juliet