Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

Antigone - struggle between god's law vs. man's law

Justyceex3 1 / -  
I'm doing an essay in English and this is what I have so far... I haven't gotten to the conclusion yet. Feel free to correct any grammar, spelling, or suggest any changes. Your help is greatly appreciated.

In the tragic Greek play, Antigone, written by the playwright Sophocles, the protagonist, Antigone, and the antagonist, King Creon hold opposing positions. There is a struggle between god's laws vs. man's law. Antigone believes in god's law. King Creon believes that the laws that are created by man hold a higher power then the laws of the gods. I support Antigone's position of burying her brother Polyneices because I agree that god's law is more important than man's law.

In this play, there is a struggle between King Creon and his niece, Antigone regarding the burial of Antigone's two brothers, Eteocles and Polyneices. Eteocles and Polyneices agreed to share the throne when their father died. Eteocles was to rule over Thebes in Ancient Greece for the first year and then give Polyneices a turn. But Eteocles banished Polyneices under his kingship. They battled each other. They were both killed in battle. Creon believed that Polyneices was a traitor and that only Eteocles should be honored for fighting as bravely as he did to protect his city. Antigone believed that Polyneices fought just as bravely and that they should both be honored with a proper burial. Antigone doesn't feel that it is right for one brother to be honored even though they were both killed under the same circumstances. Antigone had many valued reasons to feel the way she did.

For instance, Antigone believed that god's law should come before everything. Creon believed that everyone should listen to the laws of man but Antigone doesn't agree with this because she believes that the laws of the gods should be held above man's law at all costs. As said in the story, "The laws of the gods have been, will be, and continue to be". The laws of the gods are eternal and they will never change. Unlike man's law which can change at any given moment. For this reason, Antigone felt that what she was doing was the right thing if it meant honoring her family.

Creon thinks that Antigone is guilty for burying her brother but Antigone says, "There is no guilt in reverence for the dead". She believes that all of the dead should be honored properly. Antigone feels that everyone else agrees with her reasoning but they don't want to get themselves into trouble so they just keep quiet. Even though Creon tells her that she is all alone, she still stands up for what she believes. Antigone's position was to act out of love and loyalty to her family and also out of a concern for her brother's after life.
There is a struggle between G od's laws vs. man's law.---I'm not sure, but it seems like 'God' should be capitalized.

Eteocles was to rule over Thebes in Ancient Greece for the first year, and then give Polyneices a turn.

Unlike man's law which can change at any given moment.--This isn't a complete sentence, but you could add it to the previous one.

This is coming along pretty well. When you're finished, send it back through, and we'll have another look at it.

:)
Mv71 3 / 6  
and the antagonist, King Creon hold opposing positions. There is a struggle between god's laws vs. man's law. Antigone believes in god's law. King Creon believes that the laws that are created by man hold a higher power then the laws of the gods. I support Antigone's position of burying her brother Polyneices because I agree that god's law is more important than man's law.

You could probably state this a little better. My suggestion:

and the antagonist, King Creon represent opposing sides in the struggle between the Law of God and the Laws of Man. While Antigone believes in God's Law, King Creon upholds that Man's Law has a much greater bearing than those of the gods. I, on the other hand, support Antigone's choice to bury her brother in accordance with the fact that God's law is much more important than Man's.

I feel like some of your sentences don't flow as well as you could make them, maybe you could work on that a little. But overall it's a pretty decent essay.

Home / Book Reports / Antigone - struggle between god's law vs. man's law