Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

American Dream in the 20th Century (The Great Gatsby)

Hulk694 2 / 2  
Prompt:

The search for the fulfillment of the "American Dream" has taken on many characteristics throughout the 20th century. Using The Great Gatsby as a starting point, analyze this search by examining various representations of the "American Dream." Analyze how and why the vision(s) of the "American Dream" influenced the decisions and actions of individuals in both fictional and real-life situations. Consider both historical and literary evidence to demonstrate your interpretation of the "American Dream."

My introduction:

The American Dream is a notion that anyone can succeed through hard work in their pursuit of happiness. However, it can mean different things to many people. Some may also see it as to the pursuit of wealth and material excess. In the Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald depicts the 1920's as a time of decayed social and moral values, since almost all of the characters are not content with what they have. With technological innovation growing, society was caught up by the media and everything around them, which caused them to believe that the American Dream was more than just freedom and happiness. Competition among the people also caused them to desire things that they would never have before, which includes expensive things, such as big mansions and fancy cars. These things as the desire for money and worldly pleasure result in the corruption of the true American Dream.

Is this a good intro?
What would you recommend to make it better?
Paulina213 2 / 23  
Solid. I read all the way through- that means I was captivated. However, change the mediocre line: It means different things to different people. Otherwise, solid.
Don't mention the book until you do a body paragraph about it -- unless the bok is a central theme of the essay. I think it's not, though. I think the essay will be about research, Gatsby, and a lot of things people said about the dream.

Bruce Springstein has an interesting quote about it... but I can't remember what it is!! Google around. Also Google this: Hoschild, "American Dream"

But my main suggestion is to take out the example (Gatsby) and keep this intro all about the main theme for the essay. You might want to write the intro after you have written the body paragraphs.

Home / Book Reports / American Dream in the 20th Century (The Great Gatsby)